Monday, April 9, 2012

Hoppy Days

Saturday, April 7: Hot Springs Village, AR-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Miles: 42
Lot: Boys & Girls Club

Before the shows today I took Ryan to a nearby Bank of America, and then we went by a dollar store so I could get the components for my Easter bonnet.

When I got paid this morning I noticed a number of huge Easter baskets in the office. I asked who they came from, and Tavana told me all about Tim Hughes.
Tim saw our show in Glenwood on Thursday and absolutely loved it. It was his son's first circus, and as he bought his ticket, he could barely contain his excitement.
He asked if he could take Tavana and Sue, who were selling tickets, to lunch, but they explained that they couldn't leave the office.
He then asked if he could bring them anything, and Sue answered, "Chocolate."
He brought them two baskets of the good stuff: expensive, foreign chocolate. He then asked how many kids were on the show, since he wanted to do something for them.
He brought 14 HUGE Easter baskets filled to the brim with goodies.

Tavana told me that he bought 11 ringside tickets for the 5:30 p.m. show today, so Ryan and I went out and visited with him during Intermission of that show to thank him for his kind gifts. He was such a genuine, nice guy.

We had a great audience for the 2:00 p.m. show. I wish the second crowd had possessed as much energy as the first.

After the shows I joined Radar and his grandmother for a delicious Italian dinner.


Sunday, April 8: Morrilton, AR-Day Off
Miles: 115
Lot: Southern Christian Home Grounds

Today's jump normally would have only been around 75 miles, but we were told that the roads were terrible for trailer and big rig driving, so we took a longer, yet easier route that was almost all Interstate.

I was able to pull off the highway in Benton, AR to grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks. One of the girls working there was flirting with me until she found out I was a clown with the circus.
"I'm terrified of clowns," she told me. I replied with, "Well, I'm terrified of baristas, so I guess that evens it out."
I was hoping for a big laugh, but I don't think she knew what a barista was. Go figure!

Upon our arrival in town, The Combs family gave me my Easter gift: Cadbury eggs!
I gave Nico his Easter basket, and just as Ryan predicted, Nico was most excited about the plastic Easter eggs inside, which he proceeded to "juggle".

There was an Easter egg hunt for the circus kids held in a playground across the street at noon. After that we all put on our Sunday finest and were treated to lunch at a local steakhouse and buffet.

Besides the lunch, the main event was the 3rd Annual Kelly Miller Easter Bonnet Contest.
I didn't get many good pictures (since my bonnet was a pain to see out of), so I stole a bunch from Carolyn's Facebook page. (Hope you don't mind, Carolyn!)
Here are the winners:

Most Beautiful:

3rd place-Becky

2nd place-Doricela

1st place-Tavana (This picture came from her Facebook page. Thanks!)

Funniest:

3rd place-Gene

2nd place-Me!

1st place-Johnny
Most Creative:

3rd place-Sammy (also pictured is Gigi)

2nd place-Luciano

1st place-Luis (Unfortunately I couldn't find a good picture of his)

Here are a few more of the contestants:

Carolyn

DeeDee

Nico

Jacob

Lamont

Fridman!?

After claiming my prize beach towel, I headed back to the lot to await the arrival of my friend, Sean Carlock.
Sean was a First of May clown on the Red Unit while I was a First of May on the Blue Unit. We kept in touch before and during our time on "The Big Show", and we have continued to do so since then.

He and his girlfriend, Erica, just moved to Little Rock a couple of months ago, and they were nice enough to let me stay at their house for the night.

We had a cookout (During which I had my first cheesy brat in a looooong time), and we stayed up late talking and sharing stories.

All in all, I had a great Easter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

When are you going to learn that you can't say the "c" word around women without them running the other way. Oh well one day a woman will stay around when you say it.

Anonymous said...

One day. :)