Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Double Post: Part IV

Sunday, June 24: Mine Hill, NJ-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

This morning I walked to a little Italian place for breakfast. My sandwich was ok, but they made an excellent cappuccino for me.

I borrowed John Moss' air compressor so I could make sure my trailer tires were good to go for the upcoming big jump.
I accidentally over inflated one tire by 15 psi because I didn't have my pressure gauge on the tire's nozzle correctly. I'm very lucky that I didn't cause the tire to explode!
John taught me a simple trick to let air out of a tire using a key on the air nozzle. It certainly beat my original plan, which was slicing the tire open with a knife!

Circus fans William Tenity and Don and Barb Kowell all made the drive from New York to catch the first show today.
At the second performance, Guillaume Dufresnoy, Big Apple Circus' artistic director, was in attendance.

As soon as the second show was over, I took great haste in getting my rig travel ready, and then I hit the road.
My plan was to get halfway through the 250 mile drive to Mendon, MA so I wouldn't have such a big trip to make on our day off.

On the way I was able to use a dump station at the CT welcome center. Unfortunately, that was the only trailer friendly feature I found in the whole state.
I got off the Interstate a few times to get fuel, but every exit had tiny gas stations that I couldn't possibly have fit into.
Also, at one exit I had to drive at least 5 miles of dark, winding, back roads until I could find a place to turn around and get back on the highway.

The final straw came when I pulled into a Walmart to spend the night. As I entered the parking lot I saw signs everywhere forbidding overnight parking by trucks or trailers.
Since I was only 56 miles from Mendon, I decided to press on and finish the trip.

Alex was still up waiting to park the elephant truck, so he got me into position around 1 a.m.
I thought about unhooking my truck in the morning, but since the engine was still running, I decided to just get it over with.
In my sleepy state I must not have balanced my trailer jack correctly, because for the third time this season, my trailer toppled off the blocks. Just the thing I didn't need to happen after two shows and a frustrating 250 mile drive.

Luckily the front of the trailer landed on my truck's hitch, and with some help from Ryan I was able to get everything corrected before collapsing into bed.


Monday, June 25: Mendon, MA-Travel Day
Miles: 250
Lot: Gift Barn

It was nice sleeping in this morning, but I was discouraged when I heard it storming outside.
My plan was to go into Boston today, but I was reluctant to spend all day walking around in the rain. Finally I decided that I wasn't going to let a little water ruin a day off in one of my favorite cities.

My initial scheme was to take a train into the city, but the MBTA schedule didn't really work for me. Also, I figured if I drove in I would be at liberty to leave when I was ready.
I made a terrible mistake....

Driving my truck in city traffic is bad enough, but with the added nuisance of the rain I was stressing out.
I had a heck of a time finding parking; garages were out because of the height of my truck, and all the parking lots I found were full.
When I finally stumbled upon one lot with spaces, the attendant wanted to charge me SIXTY DOLLARS to park. It turns out a Sox game was going on tonight, and I was right by Fenway.

After driving around aimlessly for awhile, I finally decided to throw in the towel. I called Ryan and found out that he and his family were going to the Natick Mall, which was about halfway between Boston and Mendon.

Ryan, his dad, and his brother, Pete, took the Fuscos to the gigantic mall and let them shop to their hearts' content.
I was happy to finally get something to eat, and I enjoyed looking through the Newbury Comics and Barnes & Noble.

I was planning to go to dinner with everyone, but I was still full from my late lunch, and I was also worn out.
I headed back to Mendon relatively early in the evening, and I spent the rest of the night relaxing.

No comments: