Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bye Bye KI

Tuesday, August 7: Kelleys Island, OH-4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

This morning I drove out by the beach to walk a cool nature trail I found last year. I had a nice stroll, except I found every cobweb in my path.



My favorite sights were the areas where I was able to get off the path and walk along the lake, and also the creepy abandoned building in the middle of the woods.


As I walked away I kept expecting to look back and see a mask wearing, machete wielding maniac chasing me.

I had a lot of fun at the beach today; I played in the water for awhile with Ryan, Nico, Armando, and his family.

After a day of fun in the sun, I finally dropped my golf cart off at the rental place. That is always the saddest moment on Kelleys Island, because then I know the party will soon be over.

We had a rough hillbilly gag in the first show. For some reason the music started skipping in the middle of the gag. Since a lot of our bits in the rag slapping portion of the act are timed to the music, we just had to plow through that section.
We rushed through the rest of the gag and the music was finally back on track for the blow off. I hate when the audience sees us do a bad job.

Fletcher Runyan, who performs on the low wire, was appearing with us today. His act went in the second half, before Becky's trapeze.

Getting off Kelleys Island can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but tonight I timed everything perfectly. Usually I am stuck for awhile on the lot because everyone is parked so tight among the trees.

Radar was gone before the second half was finished though, and with him out of the way I had a clear shot to the road.
He called me shortly before the show finished and let me know that the ferry wasn't leaving until a few more circus vehicles had arrived. I planned to be one of those vehicles.

During the rest of the second half, I was packing up my house and getting it ready for travel. As soon as finale ended, I threw off my costume, put on my jumpsuit and hat, and drove off the lot while still in make up.
My plan worked out perfectly. I was driving away from the tent before any of the public had even begun to leave the parking lot.
Radar, Carolyn, and I were the lucky three that got to leave the island on a ferry shortly after the show had ended.



Ah, sweet success!

I was getting drowsy during the drive to Gibsonburg, so I was grateful that I didn't have to wait any longer than I did to actually hit the road.

Unfortunately my bedtime was delayed once I arrived to the next town, because some higher power takes a perverse pleasure in seeing my trailer fall off its blocks.
I've been lucky the few times that it has happened this year, because I've always been able to correct the situation without the aid of a forklift.
I guess I should finally listen to the advice that Becky gave me a few months ago and start chalking my trailer's wheels before I unhook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it just me but look in the window of the building. It looks like a person is standing there looking out the window. Creepy