Thursday, August 2, 2012

Herky, Bungles, And Jerky & Jerky

Wednesday, August 1: Massillon, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 34
Lot: K of C grounds

This morning Ryan and I met up with Dale Smith, aka Herky the Clown. Herky is a former Kelly Miller clown, and he's a celebrity in Massillon (he even has his own Herky Day); it was fun to see so many people recognize him out of make up while we were chatting at the tent raising.
Herky and his family treated us to breakfast; the food and company were great.

After our visit with Herky, Jeff Potts came out to visit again. He took us to his house outside of town so he could show us his latest project. He has a cargo trailer with a built in stage that folds out. The whole set up is pretty sharp; I can't wait to see the finished project.

When Jeff dropped us off back at the lot, I ran into Doug Kruest. He brought fresh peaches and tomatoes to a bunch of folks on the show; they are delicious.

At the start of the first show, Tom Purcell made a surprise presentation to Herky. It was a plaque honoring his 25 years of clowning (the 1987 class of Ringling Clown College, of which Herky was a student, began its session on August 1st).

Jeff got into make up for the shows today, so Ryan and I incorporated him and Herky into the musical number we play at the start of the second half. Jeff played the tuba, and Herky conducted our little band.
We're not going to win any Grammys, but we had fun.







Here we are beating a hasty retreat before the tomatoes began flying.

After the first show there was a knock on my door; I answered to find Laurie and her son, Steven. Two years ago, they were backstage before the show, and I talked to them and answered their questions.
Last year, Jim Royal got a call at the home office from Laurie. She wanted me to give her sons a backstage tour of the circus, specifically because it was Steven's birthday when we were in town.
I gave the boys a tour in the afternoon, and then I visited with their family during the show.

Laurie and Steven watched the first performance today, and they just wanted to come by and say hello. I loaded Steven up with some Steve & Ryan swag, and we autographed his program.
It was nice that they thought to come see me.

After the shows Jeff had me and Ryan back over to his house for dinner. His wife made tacos that were delicious. I ate way more than I should have.
My favorite part of the evening was being introduced to floor ball....er....carpet ball!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpetball

No comments: