Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Muddy Mornin'

Monday, August 27: Chesterton, IN-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 53
Lot: Dogwood Park

Last night around 10 p.m., most of the semis and some of the trailers pulled off the lot since rain was expected all night and into the morning.
I saw that a decent amount of folks stayed put for the evening, so I decided to do the same.

When I woke up in the morning, it was raining steadily and the ground was feeling soft underfoot.
I tried my best not to get stuck as I exited the lot, but I drove right through the area where the elephants had been washed yesterday, and I buried my truck's tires into the mud.
I was very worried that I was going to be the only idiot that got stuck, but most everyone else that spent the night on the lot ended up in the same predicament. That made me feel a little better.

The bobcat was brought over, and my front bumper was hooked to it via chains. The machine had a heck of a time pulling me out of my ruts; once I put my truck into 4 wheel drive, I finally started to make some headway, but it was still a battle the whole way to the street.

We entered the central time zone on our drive today; we were lucky, because the show definitely needed that extra hour to deal with getting vehicles out of the muddy mess on the Lakeville lot.

When I arrived in Chesterton, I noticed that the entrance to the lot, a gateway, was already torn up and muddy.

I stopped and exited my truck so I could ask Alex, the 24 hour man, what he wanted me to do.
He told me to stick to the left side of the gate and to take it slow. I did as he said, and all was going well until my trailer hit the muck. I threw my truck into 4 wheel drive again and got through with no problem.

One of the trailers got stuck in the entrance, which held things up for awhile until it could be pulled out of the way.
Obviously it took longer than usual to get everything set up, but with the time zone change on the show's side, things weren't too far behind schedule.

Ryan and I had a business meeting this morning about things we need to get accomplished in the next couple of months. It was a good way to get us both motivated.

It was a sunny day, which helped dry the ground. The earth was still soft in certain spots under the big top, but the only area that suffered was the space between the back door and the ring. It was torn up by the end of the night from the elephants walking back and forth for their rides during Intermission.

The second crowd was great. I tell ya, if all the audiences were as responsive as they were, my job would never seem like work!

No comments: