Monday, August 6, 2012

Stratford Upon

Sunday, August 5: Avon, OH-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 45
Lot: K of C Grounds

During the night I had a bad dream. It started off with me in my trailer. I heard the music that starts the second half, and I was not dressed.
I threw on my costume, but of course it took me much longer than normal. By the time I made it to the back door, Ryan had just finished playing our song on his cornet.
I figured I would make a bit out of being late. My plan was to run into the ring after Ryan, start playing the same song, and then slowly realize that I was late.
As I got to the center of the ring, I held the horn up to my mouth, and the mouthpiece fell out.

About that time in the dream, the sponsor came into the ring and started trying to be funny with me. I was in a bad mood from being late, so I got into an argument with the sponsor, right in front of a paying audience.
The dream ended as I was storming back to my trailer with Ryan trailing behind trying to console me with the fact that the number went much better without me. (Wow, what a pal!)

Just then my alarm went off and I woke up. Even though I knew it wasn't real, all the pent up anger from the dream put me in a foul mood for the start of the drive.
After putting some miles under my belt, I started to feel better. What a way to start off my morning!

Last year in Avon the ground at the lot was too soft for us to park on. All of the trailers were parked across the street from the tent, and without power.
In anticipation of a repeat of that set up, I had Castro fix my generator a few days ago, and I made sure that I had plenty of spare fuel just in case.
Luckily the ground was solid, and our lot layout was a normal one.

Rich Deptula came by this morning and invited me and Ryan to his house to see his circus collection. His whole basement is like a circus museum, with posters, wardrobe, props, and even a model circus that he made.

Ryan and I were most interested in his vast assemblage of photos. We perused many binders packed with 8x10 clown photographs.

While we were gone there was a good amount of rain, but the sun had come out by the time we got back to the lot; it was incredibly humid though.

In the second hillbilly gag, Ryan and I had just commenced the rag slapping portion of the act. My first hit to Ryan's face just about knocked him for a loop.
After the act, Ryan asked why the rag had packed such a wallop. I answered truthfully, "It may have gotten wrapped around my fist a bit...."
(I wonder if that was an unconscious reaction to the dream I had last night?)

Next, in the skeleton chase, the skeleton's foot fell off. I told Ryan that the skeleton must have had a good idea.
(Any "Black Adder" fans should appreciate that joke)

After the shows everyone had to make the jump to Kelleys Island. I tried to hurry off the lot when the show ended, but I had a difficult time hooking up my truck and trailer.
Those precious few minutes cost me an earlier trip over to the island on the ferry. I had to wait awhile, but I finally squeezed onto a boat with the elephants and tigers.

After I was parked on the Kelleys Island lot, I was just about to walk over to pick up a golf cart when Ryan pulled up in one that he got for me. What a friend; even though I punched him earlier in the day!

Radar, Elisa, and I had dinner at the Village Pump. A group of young people invited us to join them at the bar. Once they found out we were with the circus, they seemed to lose interest in us. Well, all except for the one whack-a-doo hippie guy that performed with fire.

Lucky and Vickie, the Kelly Miller band from the last several years, have come out to visit for the Kelleys Island date. We saw them as we were leaving the Pump. It was good to see them again.

The three of us drove a lap around the island, and then we called it an early night. We're getting so old!

No comments: