Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Swag!

Monday, August 13: Redford, MI-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 25
Lot: Bell Creek Park

On this morning's jump I left the Interstate at one point, and then I couldn't get back on because of construction. I had to take a long detour, and I was even delayed waiting for a slow moving train to cross the road.
Needless to say, once I got back on the route, I was one of the last vehicles in the circus convoy.

Our friend, Rick, was visiting today. He brought kielbasa sausages that he cooked for me, Radar, and the Combs family. He also brought us a big cake, and a case of Guinness for me.
In addition, he gave me a package from our friend in Maryland, Carol. It was full of goodies for her favorite Kelly Miller people.

Rick was nice enough to help me run errands this afternoon. I got groceries, and I went to the post office to mail some swag to some of our fans.
There was a lady at the post office with two misbehaving children that were running around screaming and crying the whole time I was there (which was quite awhile unfortunately). I was about to go out of my mind by the time I left (I even had to step over the little girl, who decided to lie down right in front of me in line).
Now you know why I have a duck instead of kids! (Yeah, like that's the only reason.......)

The audiences tonight were fantastic. I love performing in Michigan!
Rick and some of his friends and co-workers watched the second performance. Also in attendance was my friend, Aji Slater, and his wife, Mina. Aji was a clown on Ringling back in 2009, and his wife was the assistant production manager.

After the show the Slaters were nice enough to treat me to dinner. They have been on a road trip for many weeks, so their VW bug was packed tight. The only room for me was lying in the trunk.
That brought back a lot of memories of my first year on Ringling when I was curled up in the fetal position at the back of the clown car with a guy sitting on my head.
Luckily it was just me in the back this time.

We had a heck of a time finding a restaurant that was open past 10 p.m. on a Monday night in Redford (take note anyone that might be there in the future). Even restaurants that are normally open 24 hours were closed early.
We finally found an Italian restaurant that was open, so we ate, and laughed, and talked of times past. (That last part should be read in a British accent)

In closing, here is a website with photos from our show in Northfield, OH. Thanks to our friend, Rick, for finding the link:
http://tjpowell.net/2012/08/clowns-of-the-kelly-miller-circus/



3 comments:

T.J. Powell said...

That is my website, thanks for the link. You sent a good bit of traffic onto my site. You can see more circus photos on the blog at http://tjpowell.net/tag/circus/

T.J. Powell said...

Glad to see you are coming back to Northfield in a few weeks, the 26th, I believe. As you recall I posted some photos of the circus before and I am planning on doing it again. It would be great to meet you, I know my kids would enjoy that, is it possible that we could?

Steve Copeland said...

Hey T.J.,

Sure. If you come to the show, Ryan and I will be out at Intermission signing coloring books.
See you in Northfield.

Steve