Friday, September 7, 2012

A Visiting Kind Of Day

Thursday, September 6: Bloomingdale, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

After keeping Greg DeSanto up until past 3 a.m. talking shop, you can probably guess that we didn't get very much sleep.
We woke up at 7 a.m., had some coffee, and said goodbye to the DeSanto family.

I made good time driving back to Chicago. As soon as we got back to the lot we dropped off our luggage and Ryan followed me in my truck to the Avis center so we could drop off our rental car.

On our way back to the lot we stopped by a Half Price Books to browse. I picked up books on the art and animation of my two favorite cartoon rabbits: Roger and Bugs. I couldn't find any literature on my third favorite bunny, Ephram.

In Bloomingdale we were set up on the parking lot of a beautiful mall. I walked around inside quickly and got some lunch, but I was feeling worn out after getting only a few hours of sleep, so I headed back to my trailer to catch up on the blog and take a quick snooze.

My friend, Don Lansu, came by around 3 p.m. bearing a car full of gifts: a case of Guinness, a short documentary on Giovanni Zoppe's show, and a stack of recent Circus Reports for me, as well as some gifts for Nico.

Don stuck around to watch the first show, and my friend Paul Lee, a local magician, also was in the audience with some of his friends.
At Intermission I was out visiting with them, and there was a boy sitting near by that kept offering me popcorn.
Since I can NEVER turn down free food (gluttonous pig that I am), I gladly accepted.
Sadly that generosity backfired on me. When I was playing my cornet at the start of the second half, a small kernel of popcorn that was stuck in my teeth un-lodged itself and got stuck in my throat.
I immediately stopped playing and began hacking and coughing for the rest of the number.
Just remember kids, no good deed goes unpunished! (Although I don't think that's how it is supposed to work)

I apologized to Don afterwards, because I had a terrible show. Nothing went right for me in the acts (such as the popcorn incident); I think it was my worst performance of the season.

Luckily I redeemed myself for the second performance, and the audience was awesome! There was so much energy in the air.
I received an extra shot in the arm because I had so many friends watching: Nat Brown (who is a wiz with big tops), magicians Steve Chezaday and Paul Lee (Paul is obviously a glutton for punishment), Nathan Holguin and Michelle Musser (Circus World Museum's clowns for this year; Nathan and I worked together on the Blue Unit), Harpo (1978 Clown College grad who I saw yesterday at the Hall of Fame), and Wayne Scheiner (He was such a good host to me and Radar when we played Peru, IN earlier in the season).

Nathan and Michelle asked me a few days ago what I wanted as a free roll, and I told them to surprise me.

This piƱata and bat were quite a surprise! I can't wait to break open that little clown's head and see what is inside. I hope it's not a brain. Again.

In addition to all my friends inside the tent, circus fans Bob Untereiner and John Broker were backstage visiting with folks.

Before the first show Tavo told me that we were moving to the next town after the performances. I was looking forward to visiting with my friends this evening (preferably at the Irish pub a few hundred yards from my trailer), but that's the way things happen sometimes on the circus.
Just so the night wasn't a total bust, Elisa was nice enough to go pick up some dinner for me from the pub. Normally I would have let it go, but this pub served boxty (, which I can NEVER find on the road.

After the shows I visited briefly with my friends and said my goodbyes, which put me a bit behind everyone else who was headed to Berwyn.
Luckily the drive was easy, and once I got settled at the new lot, I fell fast asleep.

There will be a big announcement tomorrow! I've already written enough for one day.

No comments: