Saturday, September 22, 2012

Awhooooooo!

Friday, September 21: Elmhurst, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 10
Lot: Sandburg Middle School

I got to sleep in this morning; however, I woke up an hour before I normally would have so I could get ready for a PR event.
Every year a group of special needs children comes to see the tent raising, and then they are treated to a short performance on the midway.
This year Carolyn showed off her llamas and little goats, Lamount displayed his fire manipulation skills, and Ryan and I demonstrated to the crowd what happens when you don't go to college.

It was a cold, dreary morning, and it was lightly misting rain on and off during the performance. I was not too happy with the job that Ryan and I did, mainly because we were doing some juggling, and the skills that went off perfectly in practice did not work out so well in front of a crowd.
Regardless, everyone watching seemed to have a good time.

After getting cleaned up, Ryan and I drove to a book store in town that we always visit. I uncovered a few good finds: a "Red Dwarf" episode guide, the novel "The Princess Bride", and Kurt Vonnegut's "Slapstick".

After we had our fill of perusing literature, I dropped Ryan off at the lot and then went to do some grocery shopping. Even though I went a few days ago, I forgot a few essentials.

Ryan and I resumed our "Scare-athon" today with the 1980 werewolf classic, "The Howling". Even though the transformation scene in 1981's "American Werewolf in London" was totally revolutionary, the creative team for "The Howling" were no slouches.
I had forgotten how awesome some of the make up effects and animatronics were.


Probably my favorite part of the whole movie was when Twinkie, Tatiana's chihuahua, started howling along with the werewolves. That was truly bone chilling!

The weather did not improve from this morning's cold dreariness. In fact, it was more miserable because a cold rain sporadically fell during the shows.

Luckily the second audience gave us a great response, and I got a nice laugh in the package delivery bit.
A girl in the audience was wearing a rainbow wig and yelling, "I'm your sister!"
I swapped wigs with her and once again tried out this bit:


Thankfully this time I was rewarded with applause and laughter, and not blank stares like when I tried it out a few months ago.

A few days ago Jim Royal told us that his nephew was coming to the show in Elmhurst with a girl. His nephew wanted me and Ryan to get the girl to go to the homecoming dance with him.
We told Jim that since we were big losers in high school (and still continue to be) we were the worst people he could come to for help on asking girls out. Nevertheless, we agreed to help out.

Ryan and I went out at Intermission to ask the girl to the homecoming dance ourselves. I had a jacket on backwards and constantly wiped my nose with my hands and tissues that I had (when I wasn't sneezing my wig off). Ryan was wearing his puffy shirt, jacket, shorts, glasses, and funny teeth, and he adopted the Jerry Lewis Nutty Professor voice.

After both of us were rejected by the girl, Ryan asked her, "Well who are you going to go with?"
She answered that she was going with Jim's nephew, who happened to be her boyfriend as well.

Still talking in his nerd voice, Ryan profusely congratulated the couple. Then, turning to Jim's nephew, he dropped the act and demanded in his normal voice, "That'll be 50 bucks."

No comments: