Saturday, September 8, 2012

Balloon Heart

Friday, September 7: Berwyn, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 25
Lot: Janura Park

I woke up this morning ready to drive, and then I quickly remembered that we had made the jump last night.
Let me tell you, laying back down, secure in that knowledge, was a wonderful feeling!

Twin photographers, Jason and Justin Senft, e-mailed me a few days ago and asked for me to take a picture of their mother's old house in Berwyn. I tracked it down and snapped a photo for them; I also czeched out a Check....er, checked out a Czech bakery that they recommended.
Between the twins' suggestions and the help of the friendly staff, I was able to load up on some delicious pastries.

Later in the day Ryan and I walked downtown to check out a vintage store that we visit every year. Three years ago we found some awesome tux jackets with tails, but we held off on buying them. Naturally, the next year they were gone.
We were lucky and found a pair of tail coats this year, and we made sure to buy them right away.

After our purchase, we walked over to patronize a fantastic coffee shop that I found last year. Of course, as my luck always runs, it was closed down as of a month ago.
##@**%!

Ryan and I used our new tux jackets for the opening of the second half when we play our cornets. With some trim and colored buttons, the coats are going to look very sharp.

I had a lot of fun performing in the first show, and the second audience was fantastic. I think they were the best audience we have had all season; we brought the house down with everything we did. It was so awesome!

And now, for that big announcement I mentioned yesterday (in press release form):

GIGI AND I ARE GOING TO MONTE-CARLO


I am thrilled to announce that our friends, twin photographers Jason and Justin Senft, have won “Best of Show” in the Fédération Mondiale du Cirque’s 2012 photography contest for an unprecedented second time. Their winning image, portraying the contest theme "Circus: The Art of Happiness", features a talented circus elephant playfully painting a bright red heart onto an artist's canvas while a circus clown looks on with amazement. Their photo was selected by Federation Honorary President H.S.H. Princess Stephanie of Monaco and will be exhibited in January 2013 during the 37th Festival International du Cirque de Monte-Carlo.

Incredibly, three additional photographs by Jason and Justin were also selected and I am very happy to say that I am featured in one of them. When the show was in NJ, Jason and Justin captured a great shot of me giving Gigi a special heart-shaped balloon. Everyone will have to buy the calendar to see the award-winning photo (which I will be happy to autograph if you visit the show next year). I am told the photo will appear in the calendar for the month of February, perfect for Valentine's Day.

Although not circus performers themselves, Jason and Justin had to jump through hoops to get the shot for their "Best of Show" photograph. They had hoped to use Becky, the Kelly Miller elephant from their “Best of Show” photo last year; however, they were informed by her owners that she was not available. After quickly making some phone calls, the next day they drove twelve hours through five states and spent one hour to get one special image on the lot of another circus.

For all of their hard work, Jason and Justin won hotel accomodations for two nights as well as tickets to two competition shows at the circus festival in Monte-Carlo. To all our fans and circus collectors, I understand they are offering signed museum quality photographic prints of their winning image with the hopes that sales will fund their airfare to the circus festival in Monte-Carlo, Monaco so they can receive their award. Jason and Justin can be reached at: senftstudio@hotmail.com

Jason and Justin's "Best of Show" photo and the official announcement can be found here:

PHOTO: http://www.circusfederation.org/news?news_action=detail&news_detail_id=306&back_state=1
PRESS RELEASE: http://www.circusfederation.org/uploads/news/pdf/PhotoContest2012EN.pdf



No comments: