Sunday, September 16, 2012

Just Dance!

Saturday, September 15: Vernon Hills, IL-2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Every time that I get a chance to sleep in, I wake up and my body is sore. It's almost like my body doesn't realize that it hurts when I'm only getting a few hours of sleep during our one day stands.
Regardless, it means that somebody is getting old..........er.

I went over to Barnes & Noble this morning to do some horror movie research. My study aides were "101 Horror Movies To See Before You Die" (or you're killed in a horror movie, I assume) and "Horror Movie Freak" (that title really spoke to me).
Ryan and I are planning our second annual October "Scare-athon", and I wanted to get some ideas for movie titles we might have overlooked in the past.

While I was leaving the mall I ran into our advance clowns, Dave and Sherri Shepard. I visited with them for a few minutes before heading back home; they told me that they would be on the lot until tomorrow afternoon, and they planned on watching both shows.

Jim Koretz, a local photographer, came to the first show. He always makes a point to visit when we're in the Chicago area, and he always gets great shots of the performance.
While I was visiting with Jim at Intermission, there were three little kids who kept giving me five, hugging me, and telling me that they loved me.
They were really cute, and they helped make up for the stony faces I saw in the audience pretty much every time I made eye contact with people during the gags.

The second audience was much more responsive than the first, which definitely improved my mood. I also tried out a new bit in the hillbilly gag that went over great.
I thought of the bit awhile back, but I was always afraid to try it out because I was still in the Ringling mindset where your gag is ruled by the stopwatch.
Now that Ryan and I are taking our time in the gags (and reaping the benefits), it was the perfect time to try something new.

After the shows I was very excited for the dance party that Sara organized. She hired a DJ, who turned the tent into a dance club. There were lasers, a fog machine, and even a disco ball!
In addition there was a table of hors d'oeuvres and alcohol to get people in the mood to shake their booties.

I was a wallflower for awhile, but eventually I jumped into the ring with the other folks who were dancing, where I cut a veritable rug.
I in no way tripped the light fantastic, but I had fun jumping around and flailing my limbs in a haphazard fashion.
Lamount upped the ante by coming out on stilts to dance and give out glow sticks.

Here's a video I took before the party really heated up:

video

Thank you, Sara, for a wonderful time!

4 comments:

Harry Kingston said...

Steve,
Whats your favorite horror movie????
Mine is The Bride of Frankenstein.
Boris speaks, the flying kites and all the sparks flying, and a great cast of characters.
Top notch for Universal.
Harry in Texas

Steve Copeland said...

Hey Harry,

That's a tough question....

I really enjoy zombie movies, specifically the original "Night of the Living Dead" and the 1978 version of "Dawn of the Dead".
"The Exorcist" scares the pants off of me, but I also enjoy a good slasher film like "Halloween".

Any movie with good monster or gore effects is a winner in my book.

Steve

Harry Kingston said...

Steve,
When I think of a Zombie movies in my era it was, I walked with a Zombie, by Val Lewton and made by RKO Radio pictures.
Another old movie Bob Hope made is Ghost Breakers with Willie Best whose teeth chattered when he saw the Zombie.
I forget the movie but it had Mantan Moreland and his famous line when he saw a Zombie, feets don't fail me now.
I am showing my age nopw.
I am lining up fans that want those autographed photos.
We got money in hand and ready to buy.
Thanks again for all your time and energy you put into your great blog while going down the circus trail.
Harry in Texas

Steve Copeland said...

Harry,

I've heard of I Walked With A Zombie, but I've never seen it.
I love the "feets don't fail me now" line. Some of us used to say that on Ringling.
Thank you for rallying some fans that want photos. They have been shipped to Hugo, so as soon as we get them out here on the road I will put up more info.

Steve