Saturday, October 20, 2012

29 And Feeling Fine!

Thursday, October 18: Boonville, MO-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 59
Lot: fairgrounds

It was a cold day, and the wind was blowing strongly almost non stop. Ryan and I tried to stay warm indoors by working on more business stuff (that's the technical term).
John Moss was nice enough to let me print out some paperwork, and then David Shepard gave me a ride into town so I could mail off a contract.

I was still dealing with the sore throat that started last night, so I tried not to strain my voice in the shows. I just didn't feel as funny without my usual arsenal of high pitched girly screams.


Friday, October 19: Warrensburg, MO-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 71
Lot: fairgrounds

Today was my 29th birthday. While I was packing up my trailer in preparation for our morning jump, a sharp pain shot up through my neck as I was putting my generator in the house. Ah, the joys of being another year older!

Our advance clowns, Dave and Sherri, treated me to a delicious breakfast for my birthday. The restaurant even kindly gave me an $8 discount on my meal since it was my special day; I should have had two breakfasts!

Today for our "Scare-athon" Ryan and I watched "The Hitcher" (the original), which turned out to be more of a thriller than a horror movie. I wasn't too impressed, but I guess all our choices can't be gems.


Tatiana made me a delicious birthday lunch while we watched the movie; I was definitely lucking out in the good food department today.

I spent the majority of my day responding to the over 300 birthday messages left for me on my Facebook page. It sure meant a lot to me that so many people took the time, even just a second, to wish me a Happy Birthday. It got me all verklempt!

To add to my birthday bounty, I received a box of videos in the mail from my friend Andrew Scharff, and a care package from Jason and Justin Senft. They sent me and Sara copies of their photo of me and GiGi that will be in the new Federation Mondiale Du Cirque calendar, and they also sent along photos for John Moss and Becky.

Ryan and I spent most of our free time during the shows geeking out on the videos that Andrew sent. It was definitely a birthday highlight....cause I'm a nerd.

Ryan had a new idea for the package delivery bit that we tried out in the second show. While the long sound effect of the package breaking was playing, Ryan and I just stood completely still instead of mugging and reacting like usual.
It earned us the biggest laugh out of everything we did in that performance. Just for standing still and letting a sound effect do all the heavy lifting!
After busting our butts in the hillbilly gag, I remarked to Ryan, "We're working WAY too hard!"

After our musical opening to the second half, John Moss made an announcement that I was celebrating my birthday. The whole time I was looking around nervously to make sure there wasn't anyone sneaking up behind me to pie me in the face.
On the contrary, the only pie I got today was a slice of homemade pumpkin pie from Sherri that was simply scrumptious!

Mike, the drummer, was also celebrating his birthday today, and he was nice enough to share a piece of his birthday cake with me. Folks who share birthdays have got to look out for one another!

2 comments:

Bruce the Clown said...

Twenty-nine . . . on Facebook, I said I didn't remember it. Then I came across, in a journal I briefly kept during 1977 . . .
"Today I am 29 years old . . . in the mail I got a letter from Williams & Cole Circus confirming that I will join them at $150/wk plus gas, for 17 weeks, beginning 1 May, ending 1 Sept."
This was my second entry into the world of professional clowning. After the first ended in a week, I was thrilled.
You never heard of Williams & Cole?
It closed on May 2. But I didn't know that would happen, on my 29th birthday. All I could see was one more chance to live the dream . . .

You, sir, are living the dream quite well. Congratulations, and Happy Birthday!

Steve Copeland said...

Thank you for the great story, Bruce!

Steve