Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas and New Years 2012

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas! Well, those of you that swing that way....

My holiday was fantastic. I had three great meals with my family, and I got some awesome gifts. I received books on "Weird Al" Yankovic and Wally Boag,



a Ringling Bros. decoupaged gourd,


a wireless speaker for my Mac/iPhone (sure to come in handy when I want to sing in the shower), and a backpack that charges electronics (which will be great during my upcoming trip to NYC).

It was indeed a very Merry Bumble Christmas.


On Friday I drove up to Hartsville, SC to visit with Jim Howle, who was a graduate of the first Clown College class back in 1968. Besides his talents in clowning, Jim is an amazing artist!
I picked Jim's brain about his years on the road with Ringling and the people he worked with.
He and his wife, Maybelle, were gracious hosts and not only treated me to dinner, but let me spend the night at their home.

On Saturday morning Jim and I had breakfast, and then I drove down to Beaufort, SC to have lunch with Conrad Hartz, who was a graduate of Bill Ballantine's first Clown College class in 1969.
Even though Conrad was only on Ringling's Blue Unit for a short time, he still had many fascinating stories.
I also enjoyed seeing the puppets and marionettes that Conrad hand made. Since Ryan and I make our own props, I could appreciate the talent and craftsmanship that went into each piece.

I am very grateful that both Jim and Conrad took the time to appease my unquenchable thirst for clown geekery.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

Tom Wilds said...

Prosperous New Year to You. Be careful driving. We look for to another season with you guys. Thanks, Tom

taz-39 said...

Awesome photos!!