Wednesday, February 13, 2013


Tuesday, February 12: Port Isabel, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
Miles: 21
Lot: Laguna Madre Park

We hit some construction on this morning's jump, so traffic slowed to a crawl as we approached a road that had been narrowed down to one lane.
I couldn't believe how many people cut me off at the last second, swerving right in front of me (seemingly without a second thought), missing the front of my truck by a few scant inches.
Needless to say, my blood pressure was up by the time we got to the lot.

After I was parked, everything seemed to be going my way. I got my generator running, nothing had fallen over during my drive....everything was coming up Steven.
That all changed when I went to turn my water pump on. The switch was stuck in the off position, and I couldn't move it to save my life.

I called Fridman to tell him that I was once again without running water, and to nicely ask him to come take a look at it when he had the time.
When I went back into the bathroom to try the switch again, I noticed ants crawling out of the wall socket in my bathroom.
It was like something out of a horror movie!

After dealing with that problem, I went outside to stop my generator and hook up to show power. Some of the Rosales kids were hanging out between trailers, so I squeezed by them on my side.
Unfortunately one of my windows was open and I bashed the top of my head on it as I passed by.

I tell you, when it rains, it pours!

Luckily Fridman came over and diagnosed my problem. A plug for my water pump had worn out (as they are wont to do), so he rigged it up with little jumper cables so I could have running water until he can get a new plug from an RV place.
Thanks Fridman!

I walked into town to find a post office, and on the way I made a few phone calls and caught up with people.

Back at the lot, I ran into Elaine, who is writing a paper on Kelly Miller. Two years ago she interviewed a lot of folks from the show, but she said she didn't get a chance to talk to the clowns.
I gave her a short interview about how I got to this point in my life, and then I went about my daily routine.

Ryan went back to the doctor this afternoon because he was still feeling a little sick. He found out that the antibiotics he was given in Brownsville did nothing for him, and he still had a nasty ear and sinus infection.
He was put on stronger antibiotics and steroids.
That's right, steroids.
I hope this doesn't happen....

My friend, Amber, who works on the Black Dragon Pirate Cruise, came to the first show tonight with her son, mom, and another pirate from the ship.
It was nice to see her again, and her family had a good time.

The audiences tonight were fantastic, especially the second crowd. I was feeling crummy from all my mishaps this morning, but the shows really picked up my spirits. 
I love it when that happens!

There is a Walmart basically right next to the lot in Port Isabel. We have played here for three years, and tonight I JUST discovered that you can take a little path from the lot that puts you right in Wal Mart's parking lot.

I walked over after the shows to pick up a few necessities. While I was standing in line, there were some couples behind me that had been at the show. They were talking about how they had spent the night at the "carnival".

1 comment:

The Old Timer said...

Those Walmart customers remind me of the fact that a number of movies and TV dramas that I've viewed in the past also tended to confuse carnivals with circuses, or vice versa. One wonders how much some screenwriters and film directors know about the REAL world.