Sunday, February 17, 2013

"Can I Honk Your Horn?" -Little Boy At Intermission

Saturday, February 16: McAllen, TX-3:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., and 8:30 p.m.

I had good energy for today's three shows.

"Cousin Grumpy" and his son, Logan, were at the first show today. They are currently working with Circus Vasquez, which is just down the road from us.

At the second show David Dunn and his family came to see me. The Dunn family has been coming to Kelly Miller every year since we started playing the Rio Grande Valley, and every year I take a picture with his children.
Here I am with Jonathan and Joanna:


During the overture of the third show, a circuit breaker must have popped because there was a little power outage; however, only the sound was effected. 
The music stopped partway through the overture and there was a silence until the problem was solved.
Christian, Radar's groom, started clapping rhythmically until the whole tent was clapping along. He then started an impromptu Mexican hat dance between the ring and the back door which got the audience cheering.

Christian told me the story towards the end of the show, and he could barely contain his excitement and happiness. 
I think he'll be telling that story to his grandkids!

I experienced the whole ordeal with much different emotions. About five minutes before show time I went over to the back door to get my microphone.
Since I have about 10 minutes from the start of the show until the trombone gag, I decided that I had enough time to go back to my trailer and run to the bathroom.

After getting dressed I walked to the tent entrance. I suddenly noticed that there was no sound coming from the tent. I panicked because I thought I had missed the entire tiger act and I was late for my cue.

I jumped into the marquee entrance to see what was going on, and just then John Moss made his opening announcement.
I heaved a great sigh of relief and waited for my number to start.