Saturday, February 16, 2013

"I Love You, Steve" -Nicole

Friday, February 15: McAllen, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

My friend, Ramon, took me to Poncho's, a Mexican restaurant, for lunch today. Last year two of the DJs from the radio station, 107.9 MixFM, took me and Ryan there and I was blown away by the food.
This year was no exception; the fajita plate that we shared was amazing.
Thanks for the lunch, Ramon!

After I was dropped off back at the lot, I drove over to the laundromat. Today must have been the popular day to wash clothes as I saw several people from the circus over there.

Ryan was feeling better today, so in the afternoon we rehearsed the mouth chase with him playing the mouth and me playing the dentist.

Our friends, the Davison family, were at the first show. Pat, Marites, and Mabelle performed with us for awhile in the Valley in 2009 while we waited on a couple of acts to arrive.
Mabelle made a fan shirt for me and Ryan:
Dean & Jerry + Clown Makeup = Steve & Ryan



Mighty high praise; thank you Mabelle!

Thanks to my stupidity, Kelly Miller was almost down two clowns tonight. While I was waiting outside to do the chair gag, I decided to try a new bit.
The bit is that you grab the back of the chair with one hand, and when you pick it up quickly you hit the seat with your other hand close to your face. The resulting noise and recoil of your head gives the illusion that you just got popped in the face.
Well, when I tried it backstage, the seat folded up instead of staying flat, giving me little to no suraface area to hit with my hand.
The edge of the seat bashed me right into my clown nose, causing me to REALLY jerk my head back as tears welled up in my eyes.

As soon as I recovered I quickly felt my nose to see if it was broken. I lucked out because the bridge was just a little sore and I wasn't bleeding. Thank God for clown noses!

Still, I felt like this:


A little girl named Nicole came up with her parents to see me at Intermission of the first show. Her mom informed me that I had taken a picture with Nicole when she was 2 years old, and that photo was hanging in their living room. They come to see the show every year.
Nicole and I took another photo to go in the collection, and after the show she gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.
It was so darned cute!

Ryan and I did the mouth chase for both shows, and it went very well. It was fun getting to play the dentist role. Maybe later in the tour we'll switch back and forth just to break up the monotony a bit.

I rocked the second audience with the chair gag. It was such a great feeling; everything felt so natural and spot on.

During the second Intermission I noticed that Delena, who was painting faces across from me, kept looking over while she worked.
The reason was that a little boy wanted his face painted like me. After that his dad jumped on the Steve bandwagon too. What a honor!


"I'm seeing double. Eight Steves!"

Still, that's WAY more of me than the world should have to endure....

While we're on the subject of dopplegangers, here is Ryan and his double in Brownsville.


After the shows I took off my clown nose and noticed a shiny spot on the bridge of my real nose. When I whacked myself with the chair, I took a layer of skin off my nose!
That raw spot is going to feel great when I put glue on it tomorrow for our three show day!

No comments: