Saturday, February 9, 2013

Los Dientes

Friday, February 8: Brownsville, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

Last night while we were autographing coloring books, Ryan and I noticed that we were basically in the dark during Intermission.
Today we went out to Lowe's and picked up some work lights on tripods to solve that problem.

When we got back to the lot, Pete and I went to work assembling the lights. The only problem was finding an outlet to receive power. Luckily Armando came through and let us plug into the elephant semi.

We've been very lucky that the weather has been so nice for our shows. I'm not even talking about the lack of rain. It has been fantastic that it has been fairly cool every night; I just hope that continues for our six pack this weekend!

Both shows today went great, especially the second show.
I am getting a lot more comfortable working our big mouth prop.


The mouth chase is one of the longest running chases in Ringling history, and it has been done on many other circuses as well. Becky told me last night that it was even done on an ice show.
I saw the mouth chase done at my very first circus (Ringling's Blue Unit in 1989), and when I was on the Big Show I was lucky enough to play the mouth for two years (2004 and 2005).


Our mouth was a royal pain to make, but it gets a great reaction from the audience, and it is rewarding to carry on a classic of American clowning (even though our version is more of a stop gag than a chase).

Tatiana filmed the second carpenter gag for us so we could see how everything looked. I'm glad she got that show, because the gag went really well and the audience was great for it.

When she filmed the gag on her iPhone, she held the phone vertically, so the resulting movie was a lot taller than it was wide.
When I put the movie on a DVD and we played it on Ryan's TV, the results were hilarious!
The image had stretched out horizontally to fit the screen, so Ryan and I both looked like we were two feet tall.
In addition, any time one of us stuck our arms or legs out to the side, they would stretch an additional few feet.
Ryan, Pete, and I were laughing so hard that we were crying. We would be a lot funnier if our bodies could defy the laws of physics!

2 comments:

Bruce "Dr. Molar Magic" Lish said...

As a dentist...that gag has always been my favorite....
Thanks!

Bruce "Dr. Molar Magic" Lish said...

As a dentist that has always been my favorite gag....keep up the great work.
Bruce "Dr. Molar Magic" Lish