Sunday, March 10, 2013

"Carson & Barnes Had Six Rings"- Woman At Intermission Lamenting The Downsizing Of Circuses

Saturday, March 9: Edinburg, TX-3:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., and 8:30 p.m.

Even though I got to bed super late last night, I still woke up on my own about ten minutes before my alarm went off.
I got up, let Emmie out of his kennel, and promptly got back in bed to sleep for another hour.

I ended up sleeping through my alarm and waking up just a couple of hours before the first show.
WOW! I must have needed rest!

I had a sore throat today, which was a pain in the....well, throat. I was feeling pretty rough every time I came back from an appearance in the tent.

In the first show there was a teenage girl in the front row talking on her phone during the carpenter gag. During a free moment I walked over and took the phone from her and started talking to whoever was on the line.
I then handed the phone over to Ryan and he carried on the conversation a bit before we finally hung up and returned the girl's phone.
I love that the carpenter gag is loose enough to allow us to riff in situations like that, and I'm happy that the audience enjoyed the spontaneity of the moment while still sticking with us for the remainder of the gag.

On the subject of phones, a man came over at Intermission to buy a coloring book. As he was digging through his pockets for money, he pulled out a phone, and then another from the same pocket before finding a wad of cash.
I laughed and told him that I was disappointed that he didn't pull out another phone.
Without missing a beat, the man pulled a third phone out of his other pocket. Ryan, Pete, and I couldn't help but laugh.

The wind was terrible today. It was blowing at such an angle that my water heater's pilot light kept going out, even with the door covering it.
Before the third finale I tried to re light it so I could take a hot shower afterwards. I don't want to know how much my blood pressure went up during that struggle; it was extremely frustrating.
Anybody watching would have probably received great amusement at my fruitless efforts to block the wind with my body, hold the water heater door open with one hand, and light the pilot light with the other hand.

After the shows a group of us went out to celebrate Elisa's 23rd birthday party. It was a lot of fun; the company was great and the food was delicious.
Unfortunately we got back late, and I was awake to see my phone tick over from 1:59 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. for Daylight Savings.
It was a very depressing sight....


Bruce "Dr. Molar Magic" Lish said...

But do did the girl react to having her phone conversation hijacked and what did she do when you gave the phone back?

Steve Copeland said...

She was embarrassed about being singled out.
When we gave her the phone back she promptly called her friend again.
I guess she didn't learn her lesson....