Saturday, March 2, 2013

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!"- Kelly Ballagh

Friday, March 1: Laredo, TX-6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

This morning I walked to the shopping plaza about a mile from the lot and got a hair cut at Walmart.
I was a little uncertain how it would turn out since the woman cutting my hair spoke English about as well as I speak Spanish.
Also, she seemed extremely nervous the whole time she was trimming. I have that effect on women....
Despite these handicaps, I think the hair cut turned out rather well, don't you?


Kelly came to see the second show tonight with his gun fighter co workers. I was happy they got to see us in front of a great audience.
I'll be honest, I really needed the energy of a good audience. 

After the show Ryan and I visited with Kelly and his friends for a little bit, and then I got cleaned up and went out to dinner.

When I got back to the lot it was very tricky to drive my truck back to my trailer. There was some kind of event going on at the ballroom next to us, and the parking lot was packed!

I didn't get into bed until after 12:30 a.m., and the nice, considerate drunk people leaving the ballroom kept me up for about an hour after that with their yelling, whistling, laughing, radio blasting, and horn honking.

It's a good thing we don't have three shows tomorrow!
Oh, wait......

4 comments:

Harry Kingston said...

Steve,
If you had to pay for that hair cut you got screwed.
Where's the last place she cut hair in prison for the cons,lol.
Steve all you need under your pic is a number and a striped suit, lol, lol.
Harry in Texas

Anonymous said...

When you asked her to 'take a little off the top', tell me that wasn't actually the look you were going for.

Ian Scott said...

Hi,
I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but I'm truly curious to know: do the applause and cheering that circus performers receive really mean a lot to them? I'd imagine that even the most enthusiastic responses of audiences would tend to lose their impact over time... but maybe not. I ask because I have the utmost respect for anyone involved in the circus (whether it be trapeze artists or lighting technicians) - I can't even fathom how difficult, exhausting, and stressful it might be - and I wanted to know if the audience's response makes all the hard work and dedication worthwhile.
Thank you very much.

Steve Copeland said...

Hi Ian,

I'm answering this strictly from my point of view, but I'd imagine it is the same for many performers.

Everything I do is for the audience's reaction. Making people laugh is the reason that I became a clown.
I love to make people laugh. It makes me feel so great. It's my addiction (besides coffee).

The reason Ryan and I put so much hard work into preparing our material and then honing it throughout the season is to get the most laughter and reaction from the audience.

If we brought the house down every single show, I would never get tired of it.
From reading my blog you'll see that I can get pretty down when we don't get the audience reaction we hoped for.
But, every show is a new opportunity to make them laugh, and every audience being different brings a challenge to performing.

Thank you for writing; I hope this answered your question.

Steve