Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"The Flu Can Kill You"- Doctor

Tuesday, March 12: Los Fresnos, TX

I had a rough night. I didn't get to sleep until almost 4 a.m. I tossed and turned trying to get comfortable, but I had a pounding headache and I was burning up with fever.
I took some ibuprofen around 3 a.m., and if that didn't help I was going to go to the emergency room. Luckily I finally fell asleep, and when I woke up I felt much better.
My nose was still stopped up and my throat was raw from coughing and hacking, but my headache and fever were gone.

Today a big group of us from the circus went to Port Isabel to go on the Black Dragon Pirate Cruise. Our friend, Christy, is the entertainment director for the cruise, and every year we set up a ticket trade between the ship and the circus.
Unfortunately, more people showed up than I had accounted for, and the ship had filled up fast with paying customers, so a few of us couldn't go on.
Ryan, Pete, Tavana, Marshall and I sat out the cruise to accommodate the extra people that had never been before.

Ryan, Pete, Tavana, and I drove over to S. Padre Island to look around for a bit, and then Ryan, Pete, and I walked around Port Isabel until the cruise came back in.

I started feeling worse as the day wore on, and when we got back to the lot in Los Fresnos my fever had returned full force.
Ryan took my temperature and saw that it was 102 degrees. He told me that I needed to go to the doctor, but I was stubborn and persisted that I'd be fine.
Finally after much persuading I agreed to go see the doctor.

There was a clinic in Port Isabel, so I drove there and checked in. The doctor saw me, checked my vitals, and gave me her diagnosis; I have the flu.
She prescribed three medications for me and told me to take two days off work to rest. She said to stay away from people, and if I felt worse to get to an emergency room.

Normally I hate missing shows unless I absolutely cannot work, but when she told me that the flu could kill me, I figured that the show could go on without me.

I went across the street to Walmart to fill my prescriptions and pick up some drinks and food, and then I went back to my trailer in Los Fresnos and began my convalescence.

Ryan will be covering our spots in the show until I return to work (hopefully) Friday. Pete played the part of the mouth in the second half, and I hear he did a great job (looks like I may be unnecessary).

I'm going to take a break from blogging until I'm better and back to work. I doubt you guys want to read about me lying in bed all day and taking lots of medicine.

See you soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better and cuddle up with your new blanket and get caught up on all your shows.

Susabelle said...

I hope you feel better soon. Glad you went to the doctor. The flu is nothing to mess around with!

Ellie said...

Feel better soon, Steve-especially if you can't feel anyone else right now.

...but seriously: Get well soon! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Harry Kingston said...

Steve,
Stay in bed and rest will cure you alot faster.
If you are tired and run down it weakens you and makes teh flu last lots longer.
Get well soon.
Harry in Texas

maggie4182 said...

Technically, shouldn't Ryan blog in your absence? It is the adventures of Steve AND Ryan. Nah, just joking. Hope you start feeling better, that flu is some nasty stuff.

Lois said...

Take the doctor's advice !! A relapse can hit you even harder.

The show needs you to be well and strong.

Steve Copeland said...

Thank you for the well wishes, everyone,
Look for a new blog post today!

Steve