Friday, April 12, 2013

"There's A Diaper In My Pocket!"- Man At Intermission

Wednesday, April 10: Benton, AR-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 73
Lot: fairgrounds

After I parked at the fairgrounds in Benton, I walked around to my trailer door to put out my steps. Right at my doorstep was a big pile of horse crap.


Welcome to Benton!



During Intermission of the first show it started to rain a little bit. The worst part was that the wind was blowing directly into the tent entrance, so all the dirt, dust, and horse crap was getting blown over our table, and into our eyes and the eyes of the customers coming and going.

Between shows we had the Great Kelly Miller Flood of Aught 13 (well, I hope this is the only one we have this year).
The rain started pouring down, the wind was blowing the rain sideways, the lightning was flashing, the thunder was booming, and pretty soon there was a river running past our houses.

I ran out to put Emmie in his kennel and move him closer to the house. I'm lucky the rapids didn't create Emmie's Ark and spirit him away.

video

After everything had died down Ryan and I went in to survey the damage in the tent. It really wasn't too bad; even the ankle deep water by our trailers had drained away after awhile.

There was a puddle right where the ring crew would be dragging the ring mat, so we helped spread it out to prevent a very slick performance space.


Well, Ryan helped....

The second show really wasn't bad. Thank goodness we were on cement instead of grass.
Jonathan, who is the blow off of our carpenter gag, hasn't been feeling well for a few days, and tonight his mom told Ryan that he couldn't work.
Luckily he has a twin brother, Jonary, that was willing to fill in.

Ryan briefed him on what he needed to do (he had never seen the act), and we quizzed him again before the gag.
Right before we went on I advised him that he should run very carefully since the ring mat was likely to be very slick.
Luckily everything went well, and Jonary did a great job.

During Intermission we were talking with a man who brought his three girls over to get coloring books. He was asking us a bunch of questions and cracking jokes with us (the quote of the day is his).
When he was trying to coerce his girls into taking their picture with us, he told them, "They're not clowns. They're the Jonas Bros. in make up."
"Actually, we're wearing less make up than them," Ryan corrected.

Tavo came around during the second show and told everyone to sleep in in the morning since we were not leaving at our usual time.
The plan was to wait around until a suitable lot was found in the next town, Mayflower.

When I went to bed I noticed that all of the trailers were still plugged into the generator, so I figured we really wouldn't be in much of a hurry to leave in the morning.


Thursday, April 11: Benton, AR-Day Off

The show canceled its stand in Mayflower, AR, because a suitable lot could not be my found. It is my understanding that all of the grass lots were way too soft from the deluge last night, and all the solid ground was taken up with vehicles dealing with this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/11/us-exxon-spill-mayflower-insight-idUSBRE93A0PI20130411

Since we didn't have to work today (or move until the morning), Sean and his fiance, Erica, came to take us away from the circus for the day.


We ordered pizza for dinner, and while we watched one of the rental movies, Ryan helped Sean learn how to make clown props out of foam.

Erica sent us home with some delicious baked goodies (Oreo balls. Look up the recipe, make them, and try them. Now!)
Thank you Sean and Erica for your hospitality and generosity. We had a great day off!

It was around 1:00 a.m. when we got back to the lot in Benton. I was dismayed that I still had to put Emmie away and hook up my truck, but I set my mind to it and finished as quickly as possible so I could get a little sleep before our 6:00 a.m. call.



No comments: