Monday, April 29, 2013

"This Is Where They Live"- (Said Disdainfully) A Woman Walking By My Trailer

Sunday, April 28: DeSoto, MO-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 25
Lot: AmVets Post Grounds

When we got to the lot in DeSoto, everyone was instructed to pull into a little parking lot to await further notice.
Apparently the lot we were going to use was very soft, and the sponsor didn't want us tearing it up.

After awhile all the show's trucks started moving to a small parking lot down the road. The tent and semis were set up there, and all the trailers were parking in a line on the side of a little road leading to the tent.

Even though I was one of the last trailers to arrive in DeSoto, by luck of the draw I was one of the first in line to the tent.
I was worried none of us would get power or water, but many of the trailers ended up getting those "niceties".
I feel bad for the folks without power; I would have been up the creek without it today, since my generator is getting a tune up from Castro.

Speaking of Castro, he did some work on my trailer today too. Fridman noticed that one side of my trailer was lower than the other, and he diagnosed the problem as a broken spring.
Luckily the show had a spare, and Castro had it fixed in no time. God bless that man!

Our friends, Dave and Cherie Gregg, the Ringling Gold Unit Advance Clowns, stopped by to visit today.
I saw them in January for maybe 20 minutes, so I was glad this time the visit was longer.
They took me to brunch, and when we got back to the lot it was already time to unload the props and get ready.
Luckily I was able to move my truck close to the tent for an easier unloading job.

There was no rain today, but it was still pretty gloomy. The sun peeked out a couple of times just long enough to tease us.

There were puddles of water in the tent, including a big one where Ryan and I got into the little car, so the soles of our shoes were very slick for the carpenter gag. I almost slipped and busted my butt on a few occasions.

Dave and Cherie watched the first show, and Tim Smith and his friend, Steve, came to the second show. Tim made some great Steve & Ryan stickers for us last year, and this year he made some awesome pins to give us.

Thanks, Tim!

Today was a day of good audiences and good visits with friends. I topped it off by going to a BBQ over at Radar's trailer where we pigged out on delicious food that Radar's mom prepared.

(By the way, can you believe this is my 1,000th post?)

5 comments:

Jerry said...

Glad you have the other website with dates of where you will be since the Kelly Miller Circus website doesn't have anything. Almost missed you this weekend in Farmington, MO. My kids would have been really upset.

Steve Copeland said...

Hey Jerry,

I'm glad you and your family made it. I always try and keep www.steveandryan.com up to date with where we're going to be.

Steve

EleFanOhio said...

Wow! 1000 posts. Congratulations.

Dick Dykes said...

congradulations on your 1,000th post! Hope you have many more!
The Balloonman

Steve Copeland said...

Thanks Doug and Dick!

Steve