Friday, April 5, 2013

"This Town Keeps Getting Sadler And Sadler"- Ryan

Thursday, April 4: Sadler, TX-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 61
Lot: High School

Even though we jumped to Sadler last night, our route slips informed us that we would be spending the night on a parking lot next to the lot.
It went on to tell us to get up at 7:00 a.m. so everybody could move onto the lot. I was happy to get out of bed and into my truck where I could crank up the heater (it was freezing in my house), but nothing really started happening until around 7:30 a.m.

The cookhouse was the first vehicle to attempt to go on the lot. It got a "running start", but got stuck in the mud just a few feet onto the lot.
A tractor was on hand, but as it pulled the cookhouse into its spot, it also got buried in the mud. We waited until a bigger tractor could be obtained, and different options for where to set up were examined.

It was finally determined that only the tent and show vehicles would go on the lot. All the rest of us would stay exactly where we were parked.
Oscar told me and Ryan that they could pull us onto the lot to be closer to the tent, but he kept using the words "at your own risk".
We, along with everyone else, decided to stay put.

I was happy that we still got water today, but there was no power. Luckily my generator decided to work, but whenever I tried to turn my heater on, the generator would overload and shut off.
Let's just say it was a mighty cold day in my house.

Since we were so far from the back door, it was a real pain getting our props into the tent. I parked my truck as close to the tent as I could while still being on cement, and then it was a matter of hauling everything all the way around to the other side, where the back door was.

Nothing too extraordinary happened in the shows. It didn't rain today, so the ground wasn't terrible....except for the humungous ruts where the trucks had been pulled!

The ring was very bumpy from said ruts. In the second carpenter gag all of the props in the back of the little car were jostled out into the ring as we drove around.
Since our first laugh of the gag is the surprise of pulling one of the props out of the car's bed, we promptly skipped that bit and moved on with the main action of the gag.

God bless Pete, who helped me pull the big carpenter box around the tent after the second gag. He made the job a lot less of a pain in the butt than it would have been otherwise.

The second audience was very wacky at Intermission. They certainly kept us on our toes, and helped us hone our improvisational skills.

No comments: