Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"Can You Say, 'Beep Beep, Ritchie'?"- Little Boy On The Midway Wanting Me To Quote The Movie, "It"

Monday, May 06: Villa Grove, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 50
Lot: Richmond Park

Since Illinois has received so much rain lately, today's lot had to be reconfigured. The grass was soaking wet and extremely soft, so only the tent and semis went there.
Everyone else was parked on the two sides of the circular, gravel parking area. As I was getting parked, I had to back off the solid ground onto the grass. When I went to pull forward again, one of my back wheels started spinning.
I put my truck into 4 Wheel Drive, but it was no use; I just dug a deeper mud rut, as well as a rut in the gravel with my front tire.


After everyone arrived at the lot, the pump truck was brought over to pull my truck completely onto solid ground.

It was a bit of a pain to get the carpenter props to the back door today, but we made it work. We took the big box down the midway and under the sidewall of the connection leading to the tent's entrance.
I moved my truck closer to the midway since my trailer was one of the farthest from the tent.

I had a nice walk to downtown. There wasn't too much to see, but I found a post office, which is exactly what I needed.

Bill Prickett came to see the first show today. His wife, Nancy, couldn't make it, but she sent a delicious pie for me, Radar, and Elisa to share. Thank you, Bill and Nancy!


Gloria Wilkenson was also at the first show. She was the head of wardrobe on Ringling at one time; it's always a nice surprise when she comes to visit.
She told us that she is going to be teaching pie throwing at an upcoming clown convention. She got two years of practice pieing ringmaster, Jim Ragona, every show as part of a clown gag.

The sponsor for Villa Grove was at both shows and came over each time to compliment us and say how glad she was to bring the circus to town.

Angie and Wayne, the parents of Samantha Pitard, one of the current Blue Unit clowns, came to see the second show.
I haven't seen them since our first year on Kelly Miller. After the show they and their friends took me out to dinner so we could catch up.
Thanks for the meal and company, Pitards!

1 comment:

bob good said...

Eggroll alerted me to your site. I really need to keep reading your adventures.

Bob Good