Thursday, May 23, 2013

"You Guys Are As Good As Laurel and Hardy"- Woman At Intermission

Tuesday, May 21: Bellbrook, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 70
Lot: Brook Middle School Grounds

Since we jumped to Bellbrook last night, we got to sleep in. Well, I slept until the pounding of the stake driver right outside our window woke us up, that is.

I drove to a Walmart a few miles away, and we got to the lot at the same time as our friend, Derek.
Derek was the first student of the Steve & Ryan Circus Clowning Intensive. He came to visit with us this afternoon, and also to guest clown on the midway during the first show.
Derek couldn't have picked a better day to work at the circus; the weather was beautiful!

Jimmy and Teppa Hall, who have a fantastic bear act, were at the shows visiting today. Dick Mitchell and his wife came to visit with John Moss, but Dick stopped by to say hello and to drop off some delicious cake (that he made) and circus books with me and Ryan. Thanks, Dick!

During the first Intermission a little boy came up to our coloring book table with his arms full of garbage (a popcorn box, a sno cone cup, etc), and asked where the trash can was.
We pointed right next to our table where there is a trash bag hanging on the end of one of the seat wagons.
The little boy; however, misinterpreted our directions. There was a man in an electric wheelchair backed up to our table, and the kid thought we were pointing at the mesh basket on the back of the man's chair.
Before we could say anything the boy dumped his trash in the basket, dusted off his hands, and ran back to find his seat.
Thus concludes todays lesson in comedy: timing, and being in the right place at the wrong time.

Derek's mom joined him in watching the second show. I am glad we got to visit with him today, and I am happy that he got to strut his stuff on the Kelly Miller midway.

Derek's face makes me wonder where Ryan's other hand is...

I knew that we were expecting rain during the night, but I had no idea that everyone was moving off the lot until I went outside to throw away the trash (there were no electric wheelchairs nearby), and I saw everyone packing up their houses and starting up their trucks.

I was a little peeved that I didn't get the memo, and after watching folks try and figure out where to park, I decided to just move to the Walmart in town.


Wednesday, May 22: St. Paris, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 48
Lot: Well Fields

Moving to the Walmart last night was a smart move. When we woke up and hit the road, the Interstate we needed to take was right there.

I walked into town this afternoon, mostly so I could find a post office. When we got back to the lot, the sun was out, so I put out an umbrella to provide Emmie with some shade.
Just a few seconds later, I looked outside and discovered that the umbrella was gone!

I didn't take into account that the wind had picked up quite a bit, and I had to walk a good half a mile or so before we finally found the umbrella. It had blown clear across the lot, which was a big open field, and landed practically in someone's back yard!

Dick Mitchell came by later in the day to visit with me for a little while. Doug Kreust came by shortly afterwards with some Cheerwine for me. 
Thanks, Doug!

The first show turned out to be chock full of visitors. Dick Kohlrieser was in the audience, as well as Careful the Clown, who lives not far from St. Paris.

I don't know how, but something just told us that he was a clown!

As Pete was wheeling the carpenter box to my truck after the second gag, he noticed that one of the wheels was about to fall off.
I know what we'll be fixing tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing the kid wasn't asking for the bathroom!

Hope you all are doing well.

Bill Carter

Steve Copeland said...

hahahaha

It's true! Things can always be worse!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Do you guys do birthday parties for kids?

Anonymous said...

Steve,

How much is it for a coloring book? How much is it for you and Ryan to sign it?

Steve Copeland said...

Hey Anonononymous,

Sorry, we only do bachelorette parties.

Coloring books are $10 for people who don't use their real names.

:o)

Steve