Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sorry! Got Caught Up With Visitors And A Night Jump Yesterday!

Tuesday, June 25: Mendon, MA-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
"He's With It And For It!"- Circus Fan About Peter

This morning Fridman came over to my trailer to assess the damage and see exactly what needed to be done.
He went out and bought steel, and then he spent all afternoon and most of his downtime during the shows welding the broken piece of my trailer's frame.
Thank you so much, Fridman, for saving my bacon. Without you I'd be up the creek without a paddle OR a canoe!

Today I achieved racial harmony! I put Polly and Emmie in the same exercise pen, and they didn't kill each other!

"Why is that white girl eating my food?"

Ryan and Pete had family visiting today: their maternal grandparents, George and Donna, and their father and stepmother, Chris and Bonnie.

There were also dueling circus photographers, John Tremblay and Andy Bell, at the shows. Ok, they weren't really dueling....I just wanted to make it sound exciting!

The people we met tonight were a lot of fun to talk to. Here we are with a couple of our new fans:

 He arrested us right after this photo.

Danny told me that those of us in the back yard could move off the lot after the shows if we wanted to. There was a chance of rain, and the parking lot across the street was nice enough to offer us the space.
I figured better safe than sorry and drove over there before I went to bed.


Wednesday, June 26: Fall River, MA-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
"Do You Have Any Change?"- Man In The Audience Panhandling To Fresia As She Left The Ring
Miles: 55
Lot: Fr. Travassos Park

Let me just start off by saying I'm not a fan of driving in Fall River.
The last mile or so of the jump this morning took us down a narrow two way road with cars parked on our side. We had to stop to let people going the other way get around before we could continue on our way.
I started to make the turn, but then I stopped when I saw two street cleaning vehicles coming down the street (the wrong direction). That hesitation put me in an awkward spot, and when I finally turned, one side of my trailer (the one that had just been welded) ended up going over the curb. grumble grumble

Later in the morning I borrowed the show's flat bed truck so I could go pick up a new spare tire. The streets in Fall River are very confusing. Besides construction, there were a lot of one way streets with multiple lanes; however, there were no lines in the road to divide the lanes.
I heaved a sigh of relief when I made it back to the lot in one piece.

At the first show today we got to say hello to Father Jerry Hogan, and Eddie, a circus fan who lives in the area.
I was surprised when I spotted Father Jerry in the crowd, because I remember he moved to Florida a year or so ago.

A family from New Bedford came over to say hello during Intermission. They remembered us from the Christmas Tour last year. The teenage son said that we were the new Three Stooges, and I replied that we needed one more member.
Without missing a beat, he pointed to Pete, which gave us a good laugh.

Al, our billposter, and John, our advance clown, and his wife, Clara, were all visiting tonight. It was nice catching up with John and Clara and hearing about their adventures ahead of the show.

Besides wanting to visit with all of us on Kelly Miller, John and Clara also wanted to see Rev. Dr. Bob Lawrence, who they spent the day with a couple of weeks ago. He was our guest ringmaster for both shows, and as you can see from this picture of Bob and J.P., Bob was ready to go!

Watch out, John Moss!

The audiences tonight were fantastic, especially the second crowd. Ryan and I brought the house down with the carpenter gag; it's a feeling I will never get tired of.

When a strange man was found snooping around in one of the RVs while the RV's owner was in the bathroom, it was decided that it might be a good idea to get out of the sketchy part of town once the shows were over.
Luckily the jump to the next town was only about 16 miles, and the drive was a piece of cake once we got out of the area around the lot with the tight roads.

In closing, here is one of my new favorite photos of us taken by Vince Manero in Lakehurst, NJ.


4 comments:

Vincent Manero said...

Steve,

Happy to read that you enjoy the photo. I'm still amazed how quickly you found that idea! I'm sure Peta loves it already :)

Vince

Steve Copeland said...

PETA can kiss my grits!
Thank you for taking such an awesome photo. Any way we could get a hi res copy?

Steve

Anonymous said...

If I remember from a few years ago Ryan has a pig, does he still have it?

Steve Copeland said...

Ryan gave the pig to David "Buckner" Young, who has a family farm in OK.
He wanted him to be able to run around and hump things in the wide open spaces.

Steve