Monday, June 17, 2013

Straps, Beware!

Sunday, June 16: Bedminster, NJ-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 35
Lot: River Road Park

On Friday, Ernie Albrecht pointed out to me that one of my trailer tires was flat. I don't know when it happened, but I imagine it was during my hellish drive on the Jersey Turnpike.

I told Castro about the flat as soon as I could, but there was nothing he could do about it. The lot in Carteret was too tight for the shop truck to get back to me, and even once the tent came down Saturday night, the ground was too soft to risk bringing the heavy truck onto the lot.

This morning I slowly and carefully drove my trailer off the lot, crossing my fingers that I wouldn't do damage to the wheel in the process.
I made it off the lot with no problem, and once I had pulled off to the side of the road, Castro used the shop truck to get the flat tire off and my brand new spare on in its place.
God bless you, Castro!

Even though it only took about thirty minutes from the time I got up until I was ready to hit the road, I was still one of the last people to get out of Carteret. Luckily I still scored a decent parking spot in Bedminster.

My clown and trapeze artist friend, Mary Kelly Rayel, came to visit at the first show. It was nice to see her, even though we didn't get too much time to catch up.


In addition to Mary Kelly, I spotted Sisters Dorothy and Bernard in the front row for the 2:00 p.m. performance.
Even though I didn't get a chance to speak to them, I am guessing they will be traveling with us for awhile since I saw their trailer in the front yard.

To say that the first carpenter gag didn't go my way would be a severe understatement. One thing went wrong, and then things snowballed from there.
By the end of the act, my frustration level was very high. Leaving the back door I accidentally walked into one of the straps guying out the tent.
The sudden blow to my forehead made something in my brain snap, and I unleashed a primal fury upon the unsuspecting strap.
My brief tantrum both amused and frightened the cast members backstage waiting for the production number to start. It all came to an anticlimactic end when I jumped in the air to drop kick the strap, sending me flat to my back.
Lamont was brave enough to step forward and help me back to my feet once he was sure I had gotten all the rage out of my system.
To be completely honest with you all, I felt much better after getting that pent up frustration out of my system!
You can order my new self help video, "Pummeling Inanimate Objects For Beginners", by calling 555-CHILLOUT.
Operators are standing by!

Between shows Ryan and I had a photo shoot with twin photographers Jason and Justin Senft. I can't wait to see the finished pictures!

International circus fan Vincent Manero was at the second show this afternoon, and after a post show barbecue, he joined me, Radar, and Elisa for ice cream; Radar's treat!
I had a good time picking Vincent's brain about his favorite clowns in other countries. He said that we are his favorite American clowns.
Huzzah!

3 comments:

bozoette said...

I was once so frustrated and angry that I wrote "FUCK CIRCUS" in my journal (paper, of course) for about 10 consecutive pages. It's good to get it out of your system!

Steve Copeland said...

hahahahaha
Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one.

Steve

Rebecca Ostroff said...

Are we even on the same show ? I was enjoying your trials and tribulations...wowzie ! I was 5 feet away from you and missed the entire strap assault !! No wonder you get so cwanky when I do Steve-o imitataions !! I am so insensitive !