Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"You Guys Are My Best Guys Ever!"- Boy At Intermission

Monday, June 03: Hancock, MD-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 66
Lot: Widmeyer Park

We had another drive this morning with lots of hills, curves, and steep upgrades and downgrades. I'm getting tired of driving in Maryland....thank God I'm not in charge of one of the big trucks!

I was able to be fairly productive today without going more than a mile away from the lot. I took advantage of the laundromat down the road (even though I had just done laundry last Thursday, I figured I'd keep on top of things by doing it again today), I got some supplies from the Dollar General, and I went to the post office to send money home.

There is a little creek running by the lot in Hancock, so I took Emmie and Polly over to swim this afternoon.
There were a group of kids celebrating someone's birthday, and they were intrigued to see a man walking around with ducks following him. They came over while Emmie was preening himself and asked me a million questions about ducks.

The Adam Forepaugh-Barry Lubin CFA tent, under the direction of David Orr, along with assistance from the Emmett Kelly-Bello Nock and John Ringling North II-Steve & Ryan tents, threw a cake, fruit, and ice cream party for the cast and crew of Kelly Miller during dinner at the cookhouse.
Thank you so much to everyone who took part; I had a great time visiting with folks during my break in the show.

I was also happy to see Katie, one of the members of our CFA tent, who gave me, Ryan and Tatiana a beautifully designed gift bag full of goodies. Katie will not be able to come clown with the rest of the Freestate Clown Alley #30 during some of our Maryland stands later in the week, so we got our visiting in when we could during the shows. Thank you for the gifts, Katie!

There were a lot of visitors at the first performance: Pat, Thom and Jim from the Freestate Clown Alley/JRN II-Steve & Ryan tent wanted to actually sit down and enjoy the show before they are working the midway in the next several towns.
Sam and Braxton, the father and son that Ryan and I talked to in Wayneburg, PA, were driving through the area and stopped in to catch the show and visit with us again.
Don Covington just happened to be in the area all the way from California, and Don Curtis was in the back door giving out some photos that he took during his visit in Grantsville. Thank you, Don, for the fantastic shots of the big mouth and my baby duck, Polly.

After the first show I spent some time juggling with Braxton. He and his dad have been juggling for quite awhile, and I was very impressed with Braxton's proficiency. He and I passed clubs for awhile, and I taught him a few tricks I knew with some of the different juggling apparatus.
(Eggroll: "You Ringling clowns and your skills!")

A kid came up during the second Intermission and told us that he remembered last year in the hillbilly gag when Ryan got flattened. We always enjoy hearing what people remember from past shows; surprisingly, the most positive feedback we get is from our short lived (half a season) Angry Birds gag. Go figure!

Here we are with some of our fans in Hancock:

 He must have heard that my clown name is "Beelzebub" 
Despite their expressions, their mother assured us that the kids loved us! Not so much getting their picture taken, it would seem....


Tuesday, June 04: Olney, MD-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 90
Lot: Montgomery General Hospital Grounds

This morning the John Ringling North II-Steve & Ryan Tent brought coffee, donuts, pastries, and cereal for the cast and crew to enjoy. It was a great way to kick off our day in one of my favorite towns, Olney!
Yesterday the tent made goody bags for all the kids on the show, and Pat and the gang had gift bags for me, Ryan, Tatiana, and Nico this morning. They always take such good care of us and Kelly Miller. Thank you for everything you guys do for us.

Ryan and I walked into town to get our hair cut today, and then later on Tatiana, Pete, and Nico joined us for lunch at a sushi restaurant.

Proving that they are gluttons for punishment, Sam and Braxton came back to see the show again today on their way back to Waynesburg.
I had a good time visiting and talking shop with them before and after the first performance.

Members of the Freestate Clown Alley #30 were on hand to meet and greet the public before and after the shows, as well as during Intermission.

The second show was just as chock full of visitors as the first show yesterday! Mary Wise, a former mud show clown, and her husband, Joe, came to see us strut our stuff.
Keith, one of the clowns from the Freestate Alley, was in the crowd. Ryan and I were happy to see him; it has been a couple of years.
We also briefly got to see circus fan Dick Flint during Intermission, but he assured us that he would be around during this week.

The audiences tonight were very lively, which made performing a lot of fun. 

Here we are with Brandon, one of our new friends in Olney.

After the shows, Mary and Joe were nice enough to treat me, Ryan, and Pete to dinner at the Greene Turtle, which was not far from the lot.
Ryan and I had fun picking Mary's brain about her time in the Clown College class of 1975 and her circus career.
Mary wrote a very entertaining book called "Girl Clown" about her season with the George Matthews Great London Circus ; I read it to prepare myself for Kelly Miller.
If you haven't read it yet, I urge you to pick up a copy!

4 comments:

bozoette said...

It was great to visit and share big lies with you guys - and thanks for the shameless promotion!

Patricia Ray said...

Hi Guys! :) ...I posted a late picture of you on Facebook in Hancock, MD with my son, Blaire. He is also the one during the second intermission that told you he remembered you last year :) He talked about you guys the whole week before the show! It wasn't about the elephants or tigers, "just them silly clowns".

Steve Copeland said...

Hey Patricia,

Thank you for the photo on FB.
Please tell Blaire thank you for remembering us and being excited to see us again; it really does mean a lot to us.
Thanks for writing!

Steve

Don said...

I know that I have truly arrived now that I rated a mention on the blog.

It was great to see you guys. Loved the show, especially the classic circus clowning. Keep up the great work.

Don Covington