Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"You Need A New Trailer"- Castro. "No, I Need To Leave The Circus And Get A Job At Walmart"- Me

Monday, June 24: Mendon, MA-Travel Day
Miles: 225
Lot: Fino Property Rt. 16

I was on the Mass. Turnpike this morning, 21 miles from the lot, when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw smoke billowing out from behind my trailer.
I glanced again and saw a big chunk of tire fly out from under the trailer, and I figured that was my cue to pull over.

I pulled to the side of the road to investigate the damage.


Yikes!

I called Ryan to see if he was with his dad. Since Chris lives not far from Mendon I figured he could come help me sooner than the shop truck would arrive (Did I mention I was only 21 miles from the lot? grrrrr)

Chris came to the rescue as soon as he could, but unfortunately he didn't have a strong enough jack to lift my trailer high enough for us to remove the obliterated tire.
While we were looking under the trailer for a sturdy place to put the jack, Chris found the source of my problem. A piece of the frame under the trailer had broken, causing the trailer to drop down on the tire and burst it.
Oh, joy of laughter!

A very nice policeman eventually came by and asked if we needed help. He called in a couple of D.O.T. workers who were able to jack up my trailer and replace the shredded tire with the brand new spare Danny got me on Saturday.

Just as they were finishing up, Fridman and Castro showed up with the shop truck. I showed Fridman the problem, and he said there was nothing he could do until I got to the lot.
With the new tire in place, the broken section of frame was being held together. However, if I hit any potholes or bumps going too fast, it would come loose and ruin another tire.
Therefore, I turned on my hazard lights and went about 30 mph the final 21 miles of the jump.

The final 8 miles of the trip were the worst. That is when I got off the highway and onto a two lane road that often didn't have a shoulder.
I tried to let people pass me whenever I had accumulated a big number of followers, but it wasn't always possible. Needless to say, I was not a very popular motorist.

Finally I was a block away from the lot. I could see the circus trucks. And a cop pulled me over.

Sunnova!

Luckily I explained my tale of woe to the officer and he sent me on my way with a blessing of good luck.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me today, especially Chris, who went out of his way to offer his assistance and keep me company.

Luckily the rest of the day was a lot less exciting for me. I did get some awesome news, on which I will elaborate at a later date, but besides that I tried to take it easy.

My one trip out was to the Miss Mendon Diner, where I had some wonderful comfort food-the best plate of Eggs Benedict I've had in a long time!
Back at the lot I stopped by a barbecue that Radar was having with Elisa and her family. It was winding down when I arrived, and soon afterwards some ominous storm clouds started rolling in with lightning flashing.
That was everyone's cue to leave. Can I break up a party or what?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Dirty Harry said,"A man's got to know his limitations."You would do well at WalMart,You could sell coloring books.

Anonymous said...

PleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaseDon't leave the circus. The blog and the circus wouldn't be the same without you.

Steve Copeland said...

Don't worry. We're not done with the circus business yet!

Steve