Thursday, July 4, 2013

"Did You Really Throw Up?"- Jonary Rosales

Wednesday, July 03: Swanzey, NH-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 81
Lot: fairgrounds

This morning when I pulled onto the lot in Swanzey, Ryan came over and said that it looked like one side of my trailer was riding lower than the other.
I had Castro check, and sure enough there was a broken piece of equipment between the two tires. Luckily it was an easy fix, and not a major catastrophe like my broken trailer frame last week.
Still, Castro's first diagnosis was that I need to drive the trailer over to a river and push it in...

This morning I spent some time cleaning my trailer, and then Ryan and I cleaned the mud off all our props.

At the beginning of the first Intermission, a little boy walked up to Ryan, and without saying a word, the kid tried to yank Ryan's clown nose off. Not the the best introduction to the people of Swanzey....

An aspiring circus clown, Ben, was at the second show with his girlfriend, Caitlin. Also in attendance were Ted Lawrence and Rick Davis, former Ringling clowns, and Fletcher Runyan, a low wire walker. The three of them are teaching at a circus camp over in Brattleboro, VT.

After the show Ryan and I spent some time visiting with our guests, but then we headed over to the Kelly Miller Circus 4th of July pizza party.
Besides food, there was an "Anything On Wheels" contest where the kids decorated their bicycles with patriotic flair.

video


My favorite part of the 4th of July party has always been the games. This year we played a game where you balance a cookie on your forehead and try to eat it without using your hands, a marshmallow toss,

video

and a game where you put your head on a bat, spin around 10 times, and then try to carry a tray of cups out of the ring without spilling them.
I took a mouthful of beer before my turn and brought a little showmanship to the proceedings....

video

The final event of the night was the pie eating contest. My plan was just to watch, but there were extra pies and people persuaded me to play.
Daniel Cook, who you can see above mastering the marshmallow toss, won first place, but I came in a close second!

As soon as the contest was over, Lamount, who was running the games, yelled out, "Food fight!"
Before I could react, I was pummeled with pies. I escaped from the line of fire by ducking under the cookhouse tent, but it was too late. I was sufficiently goopy.


To solve the problem, I just got into the shower with my clothes still on. I should have thought twice before wearing decent clothes over to a competitive eating event!

No comments: