Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"I Had To Take A Picture Of My Son. He Was Laughing So Hard I Thought He Was Going To Wet His Pants!"- Woman At Intermission

Sunday, June 30: Douglas, MA-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 60
Lot: Next to Fire Dept.

The route slip this morning warned us that we were headed to another difficult lot, but when we got there I didn't see what the issue was. It was so much better than the last lot; the only downside was the large amount of ants.
Still, I wasn't planning on having a picnic, so they didn't bother me too much!

When Ryan and I unloaded the props, we discovered that the carpenter box had one tire with a huge gouge in it.
Since I didn't have the forethought to buy a spare the last time I was at a Tractor Supply, I had to drive to Connecticut to the closest TSC so I could buy a new wheel and a spare for next time.

Some of Ryan's cousins were at the first show, so we visited with them a bit between shows.

Here we are with our new undead friend, Dylan:


Since zombies crave brains, he went away hungry after meeting me and Ryan.

After the shows we had a night jump to North Andover, our next town. Although I was bummed about losing a couple of hours of power from the generator this evening, I liked the idea of being able to sleep in Monday morning.
When I arrived at the new lot, I asked our 24 Hour Man, Alex, why the decision was made for us to travel. He told me that besides traffic, a big storm was expected to hit during the night, and the lot would be a mess for us to get onto when wet.


Monday, July 01: North Andover, MA-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 75
Lot: Middle School grounds

This morning I walked downtown so I could send some very important mail from the post office.

It started pouring down rain this afternoon. Ryan took Nico out to play in the puddles, so I did the same thing with my ducks.


There were even two tornado warnings before the show, but luckily no sign of any bad storms. Just lots and lots of rain.
Thank you, Bob Lessard, for calling and giving me a heads up about the second warning.

After I saw how flooded the lot became, I understood why we moved here last night. If it had stormed before we arrived, we would have been sunk....in more ways than one.

Parts of the front half of the ring were underwater for the shows. The ring mat was folded in half so only the back part of the ring was covered.
Unfortunately the front half of the ring is where the majority of the carpenter gag happens, so Ryan got dirty falling in the mud.

Our friend, Rick Cobbin, came to visit between shows. Rick was a Ringling clown back in the early 1970s, and he just recently turned 63. He sent me a video taken on his birthday where he was doing a bounding rope routine. He was doing it better than some people I've seen who are half his age. Bravo, Rick!


During the second carpenter gag, the ring mat was still folded in half, and when I was running around with the saw, I slipped in a big mud puddle and went right down onto my back.
My costume was filthy!



At that point in the gag I figured, "Hey, my costume is ruined. I might as well embrace the situation."
As I was getting chased out of the ring, I "tripped" and did a belly flop into a big puddle of water.
I'm not sure who laughed more, the audience or the Kelly Miller staff watching.

Once I got backstage and the realization sunk in of how difficult it was going to be to get the mud out of my clothes, I was definitely not laughing. Kicking and screaming, yes. Laughing, not so much!

While taking my shower after the shows, I washed the majority of the mud off the shirt and overalls, but I've still got a long way to go!

2 comments:

Tejano said...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/03/quackdown-pennsylvania-town-fines-man-for-pet-ducks/

BEWARE OF PENNSLYVANNIA!!!

Steve Copeland said...

Oh for crying out loud!

Steve