Monday, July 8, 2013

"Our Special Today Is A Rodeo Burger In Honor Of The Circus"- Waiter At The Irish Pub


July 7: Bristol, NH-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. 
Miles: 25
Lot: Kelley Park

There was little to no phone or Internet service today, so I went to an Irish pub to use their Wifi so I could update the blog (ok, their Guinness Onion soup was a big draw as well).

Twin photographers Jason and Justin Senft were visiting today with their high school art teacher. They watched the backstage proceedings for the first show, and then they watched the second performance.

We met plenty of nice people during the Intermissions today; it was nice to have good crowds again.

After the shows I went over to BBQ with Radar, Elisa, Christian, and a special guest- Fiona, a girl from Ireland who has been with the show since we played Carteret, NJ.
After we ate we walked over to the convenience store across the street to get ice cream.


July 8: Penacook, NH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 34
Lot: Merrimack Valley High School

On the way through town this morning I spotted a laundromat about a mile from the lot. After getting my trailer set up I drove over to wash my unmentionables.

While I was there I met a gentleman named Bob who went to high school with Larry Allen Dean, a tiger trainer from Penacook.
Bob was very nice and we talked for awhile until he had to head off for work.

After finishing up at the laundromat, I drove back to the lot to check on the ducks. Becky told me that she heard from a school maintenance man that a family of foxes lived around the lot. I wanted to keep an eye on Emmie and Polly throughout the day to make sure they didn't become a meal.

After making sure the ducks were fine, I drove to a grocery store over in Concord. 
Besides accomplishing those errands, I had a very restless day. I was bored out of my mind in my trailer, but I didn't feel like doing anything.

A couple of hours before the show it rained and rained and rained and rained…..
…..and rained and rained and rained. Get the picture?

Ryan and I went to investigate the tent once the downpour had stopped, and there was standing water in the ring, which was cement, as well as a moat in the grassy area between the ring and back door.

I moved a couple of ring curbs so the water in the ring could drain out the front of the tent. 
Christian used a much more unorthodox method to get rid of some of the water in the moat: he had John Moss run a hose from the moat to the front of the ring, and then Christian siphoned the water out through the other end until it started flowing.
Hooray for circus ingenuity! 

Barry Lubin, better known as the beloved clown "Grandma", came to visit today. He watched the first show, which was a chore to get through for me and Ryan. Besides the difficulties that the standing water in the tent presented us with, the audience was mighty rough.
Right after Intermission it started pouring down rain again, and the big mouth got absolutely soaked. I swear it took on an extra 15 lbs. in water weight.
On top of that, our $3500 sound effects machine got soaked just sitting in the bandstand, so Pete took it back to the house to dry out; we did the mouth chase sans sound effects.
(Luckily it still worked after being dried off)

After the shows we had a fantastic talk with Barry. It was exactly the kind of encouragement, motivation, and advice that we needed, and I can't express in words how much better I felt after having it with him.
Thank you, Barry.

Armed with renewed energy and vigor, we dived into the second show and used some of the tactics Barry shared with us to really grab the audience and get them on our side the first time they saw us. 
Wow! What a difference from the first show to the second reaction wise! Barry's visit was a well needed shot in the arm and a kick in the butt.

No comments: