Saturday, July 20, 2013

The One About Orwell

Friday, July 19: Orwell, OH-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 40
Lot: Old High School Grounds

Even though Orwell is a small town, everything I needed was a short walk from the lot. I did laundry, I got a hair cut, and I went grocery shopping. Well, I didn't actually go shopping....I walked into the Save A Lot long enough to remember why I hate Save A Lots, and then I left.

John Moss picked up a book for me a few days ago, and I got it today. It is called "The Great Clowns Of American Television"; thank you, John!

I also got a new book in the mail, "Queen Of The Air: A True Story Of Love & Tragedy At The Circus" by Dean Jensen.
It is about Lillian Leitzel and Alfredo Codona, and it just came out this year. I'm very excited about reading it; it looks to be a great book that would complement any circus fan's collection.

My shoulders and back are pretty pink from my afternoon at the beach in Conneaut, and I found out that wearing the big mouth is not a lot of fun with sunburn.
Besides the unforgiving metal harness rubbing on my sensitive shoulders, the water bottle attached to the harness was coming loose, so as I ran, the hard, plastic edge of the bottle's top was stabbing me in the back.
Needless to say I did not enjoy doing the mouth chase today, and my puppeteering of the prop certainly suffered.

Between shows I was feeling pretty down in the dumps and lethargic. I'm hoping it's just the heat draining me, since we are supposed to be getting a reprieve from that starting tonight.

Luckily we had a good audience for the second show. The reactions we got in the carpenter gag, and the nice people we met at Intermission helped improve my mood.

Awhile back Radar was shocked and disgusted to learn that I had never tried a root beer float before. Peter found out as well, so he brought me one from the A&W down the street once the shows were over.
I enjoyed it a lot, but I understand that I still haven't tried the real thing. The one I had contained soft serve, so the jury is truly out until I have a root beer float with hand dipped ice cream.

1 comment:

shelftalker said...

In Hartville, you NEED to go to Clearwater Park (the Jellystone park that is up the road from the circus grounds) and get the root beer float there. It's home brewed root beer with homemade ice cream. Mert, the owner, makes it and he treated us when we were there. SOOOOO delicious!