Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Horrible Shop


Thursday, September 5: Berwyn, IL-4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Miles: 42
Lot: Janura Park

Last year, twin photographers Jason and Justin Senft tipped me off to a Czech bakery, Vesecky's, only about a mile from the lot in Berwyn.
I walked there this morning after breakfast. We were the only two customers in the shop, but the lady behind the counter was being a real pain and rushing us through our order.
I would have liked to have perused their selection a little more, but we picked up some kolackys, which I remembered liking last year.


Later in the day I walked to a vintage shop that Ryan and I visit every year. I picked up a circus books I had never seen before, a novel called "Circus Triumphant" by Reginald Taylor.
Ryan had been in earlier and said the woman who owned the shop lost points in his book this year because she was going on about her stance against animals in the circus.

On the way out of the vintage store, I spotted a business card for a Horror and Sci-Fi movie memorabilia shop called Horrorbles. According to my phone's GPS, the shop was about a two mile hike, so I went back to the lot to pick up Ryan and Pete, and we drove to the address on the card.
After some searching, we discovered that the business card's address was outdated. I called the shop to get the new address, and we were flabbergasted to see that the shop was now only two doors down from the vintage shop we had previously visited!
At least we got to take in the wonderful sights of Berwyn, IL on our incredibly roundabout trip.

In addition to finding Horrorbles, we also found a cool movie memorabilia shop right next door.
Between the two shops, I picked up an issue of Fangoria magazine with a feature article about "Gremlins 2", one of my favorite movies.

We had good audiences tonight, and the people we met at Intermission were very nice.

After the shows we had a night jump to Elmhurst, the next town. It was a short jump, but a frustrating one.
At one point in the drive I had to merge right onto the Interstate, and no one would let me in. I thought maybe my directional blinkers weren't working, but at the lot  told me that they were. The people on the Interstate were just ***holes!

No comments: