Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Six-Two And Even, Over And Out!"

Monday, September 2: Posen, IL-2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Miles: 21
Lot: Memorial Park

Our advance clown, John, and his wife, Clara, stopped by to visit today. We had a nice time chatting and catching up; they both kept saying how a visit to Kelly Miller is always such a good way to recharge their batteries.

We had early shows today for Labor Day. The audiences were fantastic for our gags, which was a good way for me and Ryan to recharge our batteries!

Adam Gerstacov, a 1989 graduate of Ringling's Clown College, came to see the second show with his family. It was his son's fifth birthday, so Ryan and I made sure to congratulate him and gently remind him that he should probably start looking for a job.

After the shows everyone drove to the next town, Yorkville. I was a little worried about leaving the lot in Posen since the entrance was a muddy mess, but I made it out without a problem.

The 45 mile jump to Yorkville was a real pain in the keister. There seemed to be a stop light or stop sign every 5 miles, and the roads were atrocious. It's a good thing that now I always double check to make sure my trailer is attached to my truck, because some of the bumps I went over would have ost my rig for sure!

Still, as much of a pain the jump was tonight, it would have been 10 times worse in the morning with commuter traffic.
Plus, we have the 3rd off, so I had a fun day out on the town to look forward to once we arrived in Yorkville.


Tuesday, September 3: Yorkville, IL-Day Off
Miles: 45
Lot: fairgrounds

I had a fantastic time on my day off. I spent most of our time in either Aurora or Naperville, IL.

In Aurora we did some shopping at a mall and Half Price Books; I found all kinds of great literature at the latter. My most exciting finds were an autobiography on Soupy Sales, a book about the studio that created the cartoon, "Rocky and Bullwinkle", and the book "Chuck Amuck" by the famous animator, Chuck Jones.
Ryan and I found "Chuck Amuck" in a Half Price Books awhile back, but I let him have it. The good karma paid off, and I found my own copy today!

After shopping until I dropped (a lot of cash), I headed to downtown Naperville, where we explored the downtown and walked along the scenic River Walk.
The attraction that interested me the most was watching all the ducks swim in the river. There was one little duck in particular that was making me laugh. She had caught a fish much too big for her to swallow, which became more and more obvious as she tried. In addition to her difficulty in eating, she had to stay on the move once all the other ducks discovered that she had food.
It was very fun to watch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed the circus this year, is Fridman still part of the circus? His talents and your talent were awesome last year.

Steve Copeland said...

Thank you very much. Fridman is indeed part of this year's circus.
He does a chair balancing act in the first half of the show.
Fridman is such a great performer that he really sells whatever act he is doing.

Steve