Monday, January 27, 2014

January 20-26: Hugo, OK to Donna, TX

Greetings from beautiful, sunny Donna, TX!

This past week has been a blur, but I will do my best to pick out the most interesting occurrences!

Ryan, Tatiana, and I spent many late nights putting the finishing touch on props and costumes. One night Ryan and I were up cutting and hand stitching packing blankets into covers for our props.
Luckily all of our measurements were spot on, and the covers fit perfectly.

Early in the week Ryan and Tatiana had to take their new trailer back to the dealership in Dallas so their generator could be repaired.
They found out that it wasn't working when they were without power during the "Great Ice Storm Of Aught 13"....a great time to make such a discovery!
Luckily any repairs on their trailer were under warranty; it was just unfortunate that they had to go all the way back to Dallas to get the generator fixed.

While they were gone, the final batch of our costumes (Ryan's matador costume, our Spike Jones jackets, and our Finale wardrobe) arrived from Tatiana's sister, Karen, in Las Vegas.
The costumes are all beautiful!
When they arrived back in Hugo, Ryan and Tatiana hosted a bedazzling party. I was invited, and we were all up until the wee hours of the morning glueing rhinestones onto all of the costume pieces.
We finally called it a night around 2:00 a.m. on Thursday morning, and we were back to glueing after a little sleep.

Our original plan was to leave Hugo on Friday morning, drive over half way to Donna, stop for the night, and then go the rest of the way Saturday morning, but of course there were complications.
I found out around midnight Friday morning that the plug for my trailer lights would not reach my truck. Sunnova!
Immediately after that, I found out that my water had frozen. Double sunnova!

After some discussion, and the realization that it would not be wise to drive 640 miles on only a few hours of sleep, Ryan and I decided to wait one more day and make the whole trip on Saturday.

Our decision turned out to be a very wise one, as south Texas was getting hit with a wintry mix on Friday. That would have made our trip a nightmare!

Things had warmed up a bit in Hugo on Friday, so I was able to get our water running again (it had frozen even with us leaving two sinks running).
Castro was nice enough to do one more repair on my rig by splicing some extra cable onto my light plug so it could reach my truck.
Ryan and I also finished glueing rhinestones on our wardrobe, we got to say a few more goodbyes to our friends, and we all got to bed at a sensible hour.

At 6:00 a.m. on Friday morning we hit the road for Donna, TX. My phone told me that it was a 9 1/2 hour trip, and after about 13 hours of travel we arrived at the Donna, TX headquarters for Circo Hermanos Vazquez.
I became excited when I saw our billboard off the highway, and even more so when I first saw the beautiful blue and purple tent appear on the horizon.

Ryan and I parked by the lot, and then I went on a search to find someone to direct us on where to park.
While walking around the back yard, I couldn't get over how huge the tent is. It is a brand new big top, and it is bigger than the one they have been using.

Finally I tried knocking on the back door of the ticket office, where we found Sandra. Sandra is the manager of the west coast unit of Circo Hermanos Vazquez. Ryan and I will be appearing on the east coast tour.

Sandra introduced us to "Chuy"(sp), who parked us in the back yard. All of the trailers are parked on either side of the back yard, with a wide lane in between leading to the tent.
Power and water hookups were conveniently located near our trailers. Our power cables went into a long, thin box with plugs along each side. Our water hoses connected to boxes with a tower of faucets on each side.

After getting set up, I went for a short walk, but I didn't stay out too long because I was exhausted from our full day of travel.

On Sunday we took it easy for most of the day. More performers began arriving around lunch time; Ryan and I moved our trucks to a different lot to allow more room for parking trailers.
When I returned to my house there was another trailer parked in front of it, with the back end almost touching my hitch.
It seems there is no wasted space on this show when parking trailers is concerned.

Ryan, Tatiana, Nico, and I got off the lot for awhile to run some errands, and when we came back in the afternoon we all met with Sandra and Carlos, who is going to be the manager on the east coast unit with us.
They went over the company rules and answered any questions we had. It was very informative, and Carlos and Sandra were both very welcoming.

I went out after orientation to have a sushi dinner to celebrate our successful trip to Donna.


Check back on Thursday for my next post!

No comments: