Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Monday, February 10-Wednesday, February 12: Donna, TX

2/10/14- 7:30 p.m.

Since we only had one show this evening I took it easy today. It was nice to relax after the frantic, stressful week of rehearsals followed by opening weekend.

A couple of hours before the show the cast met in the tent for a finale rehearsal. The Vazquez brothers wanted to change a few things in the performance now that it is up and running, and finale was one of them.
The new finale has the whole cast entering and standing at the back of the ring. Then, each performer runs to the middle of the ring, one by one, and has a moment to showcase their personality in their style. Ryan and I decided to enter together, style, and then run into each other as we go to our separate spots.

Besides the changes in finale and opening (opening is now just the dancers, Jan, who is one of the ringmasters, me, and Ryan), the show running order was also changed around a bit.
After opening the first act is now hula hoops, followed by the motorcycle, followed by the dogs, and then the water gag.
Ryan and I now have a little more time to breathe in the first half, and a little less downtime in the second half.
Still, as we do the show more and more, we are finding our times to take a little break.

The audience tonight was fantastic. We knew they were good from the minute they all started shouting at the top of opening.
Ryan and I killed in the water gag tonight.

2/11/14- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan and I were scheduled for a TV PR this evening with Alexa Vazquez. While we were waiting on the television crew to show up, we ran into Father Notter, who was visiting.
We talked about Kelly Miller, and he also told us about his trip to Monaco to see the Monte Carlo Festival.
One interesting tidbit we learned from Ramon Vazquez via Father Notter was that the west coast unit's tent could fit inside our tent. That's nuts!

After a 45 minute wait, it was decided that the television crew was a no show, and we were sent away. Vivien, our PR lady, was apologetic, but I told her that at least it was almost show time. It wasn't like we got up at 6 a.m., made up, and then found out we weren't going to work.
Before opening, we found out from Alexa that the crew finally showed up about 10 minutes after we all left, and she was called back to give an interview.

Right before the show Alfredo (who is unfortunately leaving tomorrow to be the production manager on the west coast unit), came up to tell us to enter from different sides of the audience for the water gag.
The change actually worked out well, because it allowed us to incorporate a yelling match between the two sides of the audience. We had to do it last night because the ring mat wasn't ready, but tonight we used it to kill time as the motorcycle rigging was removed.

There was a copious amount of condensation in the tent this evening from the canvas sweating. During the whole show drops of water were raining down around us. This made the ring rubber very slick.

In the carpenter gag I was being very careful as I ran around with the circular saw. Right as I went to shove the saw into Ryan's face, I slipped on the wet rubber and landed on my back, which put the saw directly into Ryan's crotch.
I had already committed to the bit, so as I lay there running a power saw into Ryan's family jewels, I was also setting off the sparks that indicate the grinding of the saw.
I didn't think I was going to be able to finish the act, I was laughing so hard.

After the shows Ryan, Tatiana, Nico, and I invited Teo out to Buffalo Wild Wings. We haven't had a chance to hang out with him because of rehearsals and our weekend schedule, so it was nice to get to spend some time with him outside of the work environment.
Ryan and I gave Teo a Starbucks gift card as a thank you for all the hard work he's done for us.

2/11/14- 7:30 p.m.

I knew it was going to happen eventually, but during the night it finally did: I caught a cold. As a result I was feeling pretty down all day.

Ryan, Tatiana, Nico, and I went to Tractor Supply and Lowe's this afternoon to pick up some hardware, and we also stopped to have sushi for lunch.

Back at the show Ryan and I set about fixing the gimmick that drops the shelf on the carpenter box. Last night it didn't work, so we didn't have a blow off to the act.
The problem was that the cable Ryan pulls to drop the shelf has to go around two corners, and it is meeting a lot of resistance.
We bought new cable (since the old cable was now all kinked), and some pulleys to alleviate friction.
It was an easy fix, and the gimmick worked like a charm in the show.

I was happy to notice that new gravel was brought in to cover the backyard; it was getting pretty nasty and muddy from the rain and cold weather we've been having.

I took a quick nap before the show, but that just made me feel worse. I was really dragging at the beginning of the show, but the four buckets of cold water that the prop crew throw on us at the end of the water gag really helped wake me up!
Despite how I felt before opening, I was very happy with how the show went this evening.

In closing, here are a few pictures of the tent, inside and out. More pictures to come!

 Yes! Park your strollers directly into my big mouth!
Our prop area backstage


Tejano said...

The fact that you took her to the Greyhound station reminds me of a song: :)

Just kidding Steve and Shelly!!! :)

Steve Copeland said...

I plead the 5th.