Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April 25-April 27: Fort Worth, TX


4/25/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning I went to the Apple Store and ordered a new Macbook Pro laptop. The one I bought from my friend, Alex Zaprudsky, three years ago is on its last leg, so I wanted to get a new one before it dies and I lose all my data.
My new computer won't get in until we are finished in Fort Worth, so I had the shipping address changed to the Apple Store closest to the circus lot in Dallas.

After spending a lot of money on a new computer, I went to Trader Joe's and spent a lot of money on food!
I was dumb and went while I was hungry, but I picked up some great stuff. In fact, as soon as I got back to the trailer I cooked one of my purchases: flank steak in a pinwheel with cheese and spinach. Mmm mmm good!

This afternoon the cast had to film segments for the "children's show". The segments were all brief introductions of the different acts by Mexican telenovela star, David Zepeda, followed by a quick lesson on topics ranging from the importance of eating vegetables to not being afraid of the dark.

Our PR lady, Vivien, explained to me that these segments will be shown independently on television, but the ultimate goal is for Circo Vazquez to have a children's television show.

Ryan and I only had to film two short bumper segments. One was us arguing over the name of a color in English and Spanish with our point of reference being a big colored circle that will be superimposed into the footage in post production.
The other bumper was us encouraging children to get up and dance before showcasing our own awesome moves.

In the dressing room before the shows tonight, Ryan and I were joking with the other performers about which lesson they taught in their segment. We were having fun coming up with ideas about what each person would actually say on the subject.

David Zepeda was our special guest for the shows this evening, and the audiences were very responsive, even though the shows were a bit off.

The vacuum gag is getting better by leaps and bounds lately. I came up with a nice bit for us to do in the seats which makes a lot more sense than randomly going into a two man high (and Jerry Jacobson, we were going to use your idea of doing the two man high to clean something we couldn't reach, but where we are in the seats there is nothing at all that we could be trying to get to).
I'm very happy that I had two good ideas for the gag this week. That's about my quota for the season!


4/26/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Friday night after the shows I received some upsetting news, and Saturday morning brought even worse news.
Needless to say I was not the happiest clown today.

Ryan and Tatiana really went out of their way to make me feel better today, which I greatly appreciated.

The second audience tonight was fantastic, which also really helped my mood.

Russ and Marie, two clowns from the area, were in the crowd, and we got to speak to them briefly after the show. We made tentative plans to hang out with them when we get to Dallas.


4/27/14- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

I went out this morning and had a nice little excursion before our three shows. I went to the Movie Trading Company to rent a few films, I did a little shopping at Walmart, and then I finished up with breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

The audience for the first show was really rough, but luckily the crowds became more lively as the day progressed.
All in all it wasn't a difficult day.

After the shows I went over to a birthday party being held for Enrique, the show's lighting guy. I was invited over as I was going to throw out my trash, so I changed clothes and went over to socialize for a bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was so upsetting to you, if you don't mind sharing?

Steve Copeland said...

I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable talking about it online like this.

Steve

Greg Michales said...

This might cheer you up last night my wife and I went out to eat at a pub in town. They carry lots of beer on tap and had one called Clown Shoes. Its a craft beer and they seem to produce a few different ones. Its not distributed every where but you can Google them and maybe try some. In The last blog Carole saw the pic of Nico in his Clown Shoes and said he is adorable. Go find some clown shoes beer.
Greg

Steve Copeland said...

The Clown Shoes brand puts out a lot of different craft beers.
Most are a little too dark for me, but there was one called "Clementine" that I really enjoyed.
Also, their labels are entertaining, and I even have a couple of bottle caps with the clown shoes logo on them.
Thanks for the heads up!

Steve