Saturday, June 14, 2014

Monday, June 9-Thursday, June 12: Houston, TX


6/9/14- 7:30 p.m.

After about a week long respite, the rain came back today to cool things down a bit. I had contemplated going to a park to walk around and do some duck watching, but once the thunderstorms hit, I was glad I didn't.

After last week, which was a tough one for me, I decided that I needed to clear my head and face this week as a new beginning.

Tonight's show was off to a rocky start, but as it went on Ryan and I picked up steam and finished well.

After the show I went next door (the nice thing about being parked next to the Espanas is that I'm only a short walk or stumble away from party central) for the birthday party of David, who works in concessions.

I had a nice time talking with folks, and it was also a conducive venting session. I was relieved to hear that I wasn't the only person that had a rough week.


6/10/14- 7:30 p.m.

Today I went out to run a few errands. I filled one of my propane tanks, I went to the post office to send money home, and I picked up a few groceries. WHOOO! Adrenaline rush!

One of the families on the show had their truck stolen out of the show's parking lot this morning. I couldn't believe that someone was ballsy enough to come out in broad daylight and make off with a vehicle.

Jimmy Hall and Tavana's mother, Isabelle, came to visit for awhile this afternoon, so I went over to Ryan's house to catch up with them.
After telling them about the truck being stolen, Jimmy suggested that we both get Clubs for our vehicles.
Before the show we drove over to Autozone and did just that. The Club may not be much, but if it acts as a deterrent, then that's good enough for me. (As if my truck's unmistakable shape and design isn't deterrent enough).

Jimmy, Isabelle, Tavana's son, and his girlfriend were all at the show tonight. Unfortunately there were a couple of technical snafus in the performance.
First off, Ryan and I noticed that the lights were going crazy in the water gag. We weren't sure why until we got backstage and saw that the lights were off back there. Apparently one of the generators died during our act.

Next, there was some kind of malfunction at the end of finale where Jan's microphone wasn't working. We all stood awkwardly with our hands raised, waiting for him to give his farewell announcement.
In retrospect, it was very funny because the crowd cheered for us, then went quiet, then cheered again, and then as that started dying down, we were still styling, so they cheered even louder!
Finally the band launched into the exit music and we were mercifully allowed to leave the ring.


6/11/14- 7:30 p.m.

Here in Houston our show is sponsored by a Mexican restaurant called Taquerias Arandas. My friend, Cristina, sent me this picture of their children's menu:


After seeing that, Ryan, Tatiana, Nico, and I went there for lunch today so we could pick up a few for our scrapbooks.

After eating we went to a costume shop where I picked up a few make up necessities, and then Tatiana asked Nico if he'd like to go to Chuck E. Cheese. Let it be stated for the record that I was almost more excited about that prospect than Nico was.
We all had a lot of fun playing games and winning lots of tickets. When Nico turned in the tickets to collect his prizes, I was amused at the $2 worth of crap that my $20 worth of tokens earned him.

Our friend, Rob, is in the area for the month of June doing PR for Ringling's up and coming Houston run. Today he was in the vicinity of the lot in between shows, so he stopped by to visit for a bit. We were happy that we got to meet his fiancé and performing partner, Jane, who is visiting America for the first time from her home country of the Ukraine.

http://www.roblokjane.com/#welcome

Temperatures reached 95 degrees today, and even though I had my AC blasting full force, it had a hard time keeping my trailer cool.

During tonight's carpenter gag, the bungee "extension cord" attached to our circular saw prop finally snapped while I was running around during the gag's climax.
For weeks now we've been constantly saying, "We need to change it the bungee before it's too late", and tonight we finally had the impetus to do so.....because something went wrong.
Bad clowns!


6/12/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I joined Ryan and his family on a trip to a nearby library to catch our friend, Rob's, "Reading With Ringling" show.

Rob's show was very funny and entertaining; he had the kids and adults laughing the whole time.



 The amazing hoop diving horse. One of my favorite parts of the show.

 The teeterboard rubber chicken. One of my other favorite parts.
Note Rob's pants on the ceiling behind us.

Thank you, Rob, for the opportunity to laugh and enjoy ourselves!

During the show tonight, Mario came over after the water act to tell us that one of the little car's tires was flat.
We ran over to check it, but the inner tube had popped, and since we were close to going on for the carpenter gag, there was nothing we could do except pray that we made it around the ring without damaging the wheel.

The wheel survived the act unscathed; however, the tire ripped from being driven while flat, so we had to replace the tube and tire at Intermission.
I'm not sure why we've been popping so many inner tubes in this city; I'm guessing it is from the heat.

After the show I went out for dinner and an enjoyable evening with my friend, Alex. Since he had just celebrated his birthday, I picked up the check.
Eggroll, you can pick your jaw up off the floor now.

In closing, here are me and Ryan supporting keeping animals in circuses in Mexico City.

I'm not sure why they're using our picture. Maybe they confused us for apes.

4 comments:

Harry Kingston said...

Hi Steve,
I hate to hear some one lost there vehicle but you are in big Houston. They will steal anything that they can get drug money for.
Near me in Port Arthur,Tx there was a statue like 10 feet high given to the library by a noted artist that was worth $150,000 and one night they cut it up for scrap to get drug money.
They have been caught and now in jail.
Lock everything you have up or it is gone with the wind for drug money.
Thank goodness there are great clowns in this old world like you two to make us laugh and forget our troubles.
Harry in Texas

Steve Copeland said...

Harry,

I will definitely keep everything locked up tight. I never viewed Houston as such a sketchy city, but I guess I was just never in the "right" area.

Steve

Harry Kingston said...

Steve,
My wife reminded me that about 20 years ago we went to Greenspoint Mall not far from you all are and there was a truck with a chain and a lock on it though the front rim wrapped round the mall light post out in the parking lot.
I told her we got to get the hell out of here.
Fun times in big H,lol.
Harry in Texas

Steve Copeland said...

How do you think I'm keeping my truck safe ;o)

Steve