Saturday, July 12, 2014

Friday, July 11: Chicago, IL- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.


Today I was happy that my friend, Toto, came to visit. Toto was a Ringling clown in the late '80s, and when I was a teenager, he was one of my mentors when it came to clowning.

Ryan and I spent all day catching up with Toto; we particularly enjoyed hearing stories about the Hamid Shrine dates that he had recently worked with Greg DeSanto.

Unfortunately at 5:00 p.m. we had to put our visiting on hold to do a last minute television publicity.
When we arrived in the tent the cameraman was having trouble picking up communication with the TV station, so we missed our first live teaser segment.
The cameraman kept trying to get in touch with the station, and it seemed like we were going to miss our second live teaser as well, but everything was good to go right before our time to go on the air.

The anchor was wearing a white rhinestoned jacket from the circus, and the first thing I thought of when I saw her in it was Michael Jackson.


Of course I let Ryan in on my little joke, so for our first 30 second tease Ryan and I stood behind the anchor, pointing at her jacket and laughing before launching into the "Thriller" dance.

Because we think we're hilarious.

After the tease was done, the anchor informed us that we had a good 10 minutes before she talked about the weather and did our 1 minute interview segment. Just to be safe, she told us to be ready in 5 minutes.

Since I had some time, and I had neglected to set the props for the water gag, I went back to my trailer to fill the water bottles.
I had just gotten to my house when Vivian, our PR lady, called and said in a panicked voice, "Can you get back here?"

I hauled butt to get back to the tent, but I was slowed down because I had to change into my clown shoes before going back into the ring.
As I ran in, the segment was already underway, so I joined Ryan in creating some mayhem in the background while Alexa was interviewed.

After we went off the air I asked what happened, and the anchor told me that 10 minutes suddenly turned into 2 minutes, but they didn't know until I'd already left.
From everything that happened, this station didn't seem to be the best prepared, but they were very nice, so I didn't mind too much.

We had a good audiences for both shows, even though there weren't a lot of people at either performance.
Toto watched the first show and then had to take off to head home to Iowa. I'm so glad he got to come out and visit with us.

After the 9:00 p.m. show, Tisok, the prop boss, asked if my father had been visiting today. I had to laugh, because earlier Ryan had been commenting on how similar Toto and I are in appearance and behavior. 

2 comments:

Greg Michales said...

Hey Steve
Its nice to see the blog almost daily now. We really enjoy it. Enjoy your stay in Chicago, just be care full were you go.
Greg

Steve Copeland said...

Yeah, I won't be walking around the neighborhood we're in at night.

Steve