Sunday, July 27, 2014

Friday, July 25: Chicago, IL- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.


I woke up this morning at 5:45 a.m. I was worried that there wouldn't be power yet, which would prevent me from having a cup of coffee, but since an important television publicity was happening in the tent, the generator was already running.

Once I had woken up and gotten ready, I headed over to the tent around 6:45 a.m. where "Despierta America", a national morning show on UNIVISION, was broadcasting live from our circus.
Ximena Cordoba, who is one of the hosts, even flew in from Miami, where the program is based.


When we arrived in the ring we were told that the crew was having trouble with the live feed, so the first couple of segments had been skipped over, and the schedule was running a little behind.

The broadcast went like this: the show in Miami would occasionally switch over to Chicago where Memo and Ximena would introduce different acts from the circus. The Pompeyos, Trio Bellissimo, Carmelo, and David Confal all performed excerpts from their acts.

Ryan and I only had to do a 1 1/2 minute hit. We entered in our little car (all we needed was some spinners and hydraulics and Ximena surely would have taken us up on our offer of a ride), and then we passed clubs around Ximena.
We were also involved in the final hit where everyone gathered in the circus ring to say goodbye.

I had just pushed Ryan out of the way, because I'm a glory hog.

A surprising amount of locals showed up to be on national TV. During our downtime we interacted with the crowd and posed for pictures.

Including with our biggest fans, the Pompeyos.

After we were finished with the broadcast I got cleaned up and took a nap.
Around 11:30 a.m. my friend, Don Lansu, came by the lot to take me to lunch. He brought free roll for me and Ryan's family: we got a stack of "Circus Report" magazines, two frozen Lou Malnati's deep dish pizzas, and a toy accordion for Nico.

Don and I went to a nearby Mexican restaurant for lunch. While we were catching up Don told me a fascinating story about getting to see Ringling under the big top.
His father knew Felix Adler, so they got to see Felix's state room on the train. Don got to watch the big top go up, and they were all given a tour of the lot by Felix. The coolest part of the story is that Don then got to watch Felix put on his make up before the performance. 

Ximena was at the shows tonight as a special guest. During the first show she did a presentation during Intermission, and then she was available for photos after the performance.
Since everyone was interested in taking a picture with her rather than us or the dancers, we left the ring while there was still a huge line waiting to see Ximena.

Ryan and I took advantage of that time and quickly cleaned our water mat backstage. If we had waited for her to finish and then had to wait like normal for the motorcycle to go into the ring, we would have been done cleaning the mat just in time to start the 9:00 p.m. show.

For some reason Ximena did her special presentation in the second show right after the hula hoops, which is the first act.
That ground the show to a halt, and after that the audience was dead. It was a really tough performance to get through, and I was relieved when the evening was over.

Ryan's mom arrived for a visit tonight, so after work I went out to pick up food for all of us. Since we weren't done at the tent until 11:30 p.m., and I had to drive a ways to give patronage to a restaurant that was open that late, I wasn't back with the food until half past midnight!

While we ate we watched "Despierta America", which Tatiana recorded. We were laughing because there were many times when the camera focused on just me and Ximena and cut Ryan completely out of the shot.

Hmmmmm. Steve & Ximena does have a certain ring to it.
And the children will be beautiful!

No comments: