Sunday, July 13, 2014

Saturday, July 12: Chicago, IL- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.


There were some major thunderstorms during the night, and around 7:30 a.m. I woke up and realized that my bed was soaking wet.
"I thought I kicked this habit last year," was my first thought upon awakening, but then I realized that the leaky skylight above my bed was not as fixed as I had led myself to believe it was.

Our friend, Mark Renfro, gave us a foam mattress for prop making while we were in Fort Worth, so I tried to get a few more hours of sleep in my kitchen lying down on that, but I just couldn't get comfortable.
On top of that, I had a canker sore in my mouth that was driving me nuts. I started noticing it on Thursday, but it was present with a vengeance this morning!

Later in the morning I went by the show hotel and picked up Helen, and then we drove across the street to have lunch at Potbelly's Sandwich Works, a great restaurant based out of Chicago.
I really enjoyed my Mediterranean chicken sandwich, which was slathered with delicious hummus; even my ulcer didn't keep me from relishing each bite.

Next we went to Half Price Books, which I haven't visited in a few weeks. Oh, the withdrawals I've been having! Maybe that explains the wet bed and the canker sore.
I picked up a pristine copy of Moe Howard's autobiography for Ryan, and for myself I picked up a biography on John Candy, the very first Doctor Who novelization, and "The Things They Carried", a book about the Vietnam War that Teo recommended to me.

I picked the Half Price Books location that we visited because it was right across the street from a Trader Joe's, which Helen had never visited before.
She was thrilled with all of the foods they had for sale that you'd never find at Walmart, and I stocked up on groceries. Win win!

On the way back to hotel we stopped by Oberweis, which is a local dairy company that has stores around the Chicago area. They have fantastic milk, and they make excellent ice cream out of it. I picked up a big, glass bottle of chocolate milk, and I also tried a milkshake.

Today Ryan sent me a few pictures that his in-laws had seen on Facebook. Apparently in addition to performing on the East Coast unit of Circo Hermanos Vazquez, Ryan and I are simultaneously appearing on a circus in Argentina.



We thought the whole thing was funny. I'm sure Disney and Feld Entertainment would be less amused about the use of Mickey and that elephant respectively.

No one cares about Pepe the Frog, though. Seriously. Screw him!

Due to all the rain we received at the circus, the area under the tent's bleachers was flooded. To make our entrances and exits from the seats, Ryan and I had to shimmy along the metal A frame structures holding the bleachers up. We'd climb from one to another like clown ninjas until we reached the stairs leading up to the seats.

After the first performance a little boy came up and asked us, "Did you guys really get hurt in the show?"
After we assured him that all of our acts are rehearsed and that we aren't actually hurting each other, the little boy muttered, "Oh", before hanging his head in disappointment.

2 comments:

Tejano said...

Perhaps that a portent of where you will be working next year...

:)

Steve Copeland said...

No way! That Pepe the frog is a real diva!

Steve