Sunday, July 20, 2014

Saturday, July 19: Chicago, IL- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.


This morning I went to do a little grocery shopping, and then once I got back to the lot I went on a walk in the Little Village, which is a few miles of 26th Street full of Mexican shops and restaurants.
Yesterday on the bus ride back from the Salt & Pepper Diner I spotted a piece of graffiti featuring "Brain" from the cartoon series, "Animaniacs" (and later, the spin off series, "Pinky & The Brain"). I wanted to take a photo of the art, and today's weather made it a perfect day to do so.


While I was on my walk I saw one of the Vazquez vans driving around with a sound system playing a  commercial for the show. 
I'm not sure if that's a marketing tactic that's used in every city we play; this was the first time I've seen it done.

Today my younger cousin, Brooks, got married. I wish I could have been there to celebrate with my family, but such is the life of a circus clown.

During the first carpenter gag, Ryan threw the sledgehammer at me, and when I ducked, the hammer hit the little car like usual, but then it bounced off into the first row.
I didn't know what had happened since I was ducked down with my back to the car, but I heard that the bit got a huge laugh. Maybe we should keep that bit of audience participation in!

Our friend, Alex, came to visit tonight. He just moved back to Iowa from NYC, and he was in the area dropping a friend off at O'Hare Airport.


The Rinny Family, who are working at Circus World Museum this summer, also came to visit and watch the show this evening.

When Ryan and I got into the ring for the second water gag, we noticed that both our water bottles were almost empty.
Apparently when Mario was moving the water box onto the mat, the bottles toppled right over.
Luckily we had just enough water left in the bottles to do the act; we just had to be really careful about water conservation.
Backstage we went over a back up plan with Mario in case that happens again.

Ryan, Tatiana, Nico, and I visited with the Rinny Family briefly after the show, but they had to drive back to Baraboo, which is a 3 1/2 hour trip.

Tatiana made dinner, and then we spent the rest of the evening hanging out and catching up with Alex about his time in Israel and NYC.

No comments: