Monday, July 14, 2014

Sunday, July 13: Chicago, IL- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.


The canker sore I developed recently was really bothering me this morning. When I went out to have breakfast I picked up some Anbesol, which worked great at numbing the pain.....for about 15 minutes.

I really wasn't looking forward to the three shows today because my ulcer hurt every time I smiled, talked, or made any faces. You know, the stuff I do to make a living!
Worst of all, though, was doing the water gag. Every time I spit water in Ryan's face, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the cheek with a needle. Besides that, the pain made me lax with controlling the size of my spits, so I kept finding myself running out of water before I was done spitting.

I contemplated putting Anbesol on the sore before each water gag, but I didn't want to take the risk of the medicine mixing with the water and numbing Ryan's face!

A local photographer and circus fan, Jim Koretz, came to the first show with one of his friends. Jim always takes fantastic photos, so I'll be sure to post some here when he puts them online.

Jim, a conscientious circus fan, blacked out the Ringling logo on his clown nose for his visit to Vazquez  

Today was the final game of the World Cup. Germany was playing against Argentina, and between the first two shows they emerged from the match victorious.
This was good news for Carlos, our manager, who had drawn Germany in the show's World Cup pool and won a big cash prize.


David, who performs the diabolo act, and Klaus, who trains the horses, were both ecstatic as well since they both hail from Deutschland. 
I told David that hopefully there wouldn't be too many Argentineans in the audience for the final two shows since they might not be that supportive when it was announced where he was from.

Claire gave the third show motivational speech today. She conducted the speech as if she was a teacher and all of us were her students. Extra kudos to her for creative use of the resources around her.


After two rough crowds, we were finally blessed with a responsive audience for our 8:00 p.m. show. 
Afterwards, a little boy asked me and Ryan, "Are you guys real people, or real clowns?" 
Ryan asked him, "Well, did we make you laugh?"
After the boy answered affirmatively, Ryan concluded, "Well then, that means we're real funny."

After we were done with photos, Ryan and I were changing in the men's dressing room. Across the backstage area the dancers were doing the same when one of the prop guys, unaware that they were still changing in there, started to put up the dressing room's curtains for the evening.

There were suddenly five different cries of the same message, "Hey! Stop doing that! We're still naked!"
Once the din had died down, I yelled out, "We're naked too! Does anyone care?"
The tent was rocked with a resounding, "NO!"

Guess I'll just keep on dreamin'.......

No comments: