Saturday, July 19, 2014

Thursday, July 17: Chicago, IL- 7:30 p.m.


This morning I drove to Berwyn, which is only about three miles from our lot. I'm very familiar with the town because it is one we played on Kelly Miller every year.
Last year we discovered a horror movie memorabilia store called Horrorbles, and since we are in the neighborhood and I had plenty of time at my disposal, I wanted to go back to look through their wares once again.

The man working behind the counter was very nice, and we chatted about horror conventions and our mutual love of the Gremlins films.
I spent a long time looking through boxes of old issues of the magazine, "Fangoria". All the issues were $5 each, so I found every one that I could featuring articles on either "Gremlins" or "Gremlins 2: The New Batch".
On my way up to pay for my magazines, I perused another rack that had a buy 2, get 1 free offer. I picked up 2 issues of "Cinefantastique", and one issue of "Gorezone".

There were so many horror magazines, books, models, figures, posters, and photos in Horrorbles that I could have easily spent all day looking through everything.

Right next door is a general movie memorabilia shop called Reel Art. I stopped in there as well to part with more of my hard earned money.
I found the three parts of the excellent BBC produced Buster Keaton documentary, "A Hard Act To Follow", on VHS, and I also picked up an issue of "Femme Fatales" featuring Carrie Fisher on the cover as Princess Leia in her metal bikini. Va va voom!

My mighty haul

On the way back to the lot I stopped by the Berwyn post office, and as luck would have it, right across the street was Vesecky's Bakery. Vesecky's is a great Czech bakery that Jason and Justin Senft told me about a few years ago.
After I concluded my business at the post office I conducted some more delicious business at the bakery. I picked up an assortment of kolackys to take home.

Once I was back at the circus I borrowed one of the ladders from the tent and got up on my trailer's roof.
Since the weather has finally cleared up for a few days in a row, I wanted to do some patching to fix some newly discovered leaks.

Tonight my magician friends, Paul Lee and Steve, Steve's girlfriend and partner, Carol, and Carol's cousin, Teryn, were in the audience.

 Carol and Steve
Carol and Teryn

Since I had friends in the audience, I naturally had a very off show.

Before Intermission Memo began making a new announcement. I was proud of myself that my understanding of Spanish has gotten good enough that I knew he was talking about someone in the audience who left their car's lights on.
I half heartedly started to walk away from my position while motioning to the audience that it was my car he was talking about, but I wasn't gutsy enough to yell, "Mi auto!" and race up the stairs and out of the tent.
Well, there's always the next time...

After the show I joined my friends for dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings, the same one we went to last year when they visited us on Kelly Miller.
I enjoyed hearing Paul Lee's circus stories from his days as ringmaster on Franzen Bros. Circus, and I was happy to share some of my Ringling and Kelly Miller stories too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BERWYN!!!!!!! THATS THE HOME OF SVENGOOLIE THE FAMOUS TV HORROR MOVIE HOST.

Steve Copeland said...

I thought so. That explains the relevance of a store like Horrorbles.

Steve