Saturday, July 26, 2014

Thursday, July 24: Chicago, IL- 7:30 p.m.


One of the casters on the carpenter box has been occasionally sticking when the stage crew are rolling it in or out of the ring, so today Ryan, Pete, Tatiana, and I went backstage to flip the box over and investigate.
The problem was that the metal square attached to the wheel is bent, so when the caster swivels, the bent metal is hitting the bolts on the underside of the box.
Tatiana had the good idea to weld little pieces of metal under each wheel to keep them from bending any more.

I went to Home Depot and picked up a bar of square steel tubing, and miraculously I think it was the first trip I ever made to a hardware store on my own where I picked up exactly the right thing that I needed and didn't have to make a trip to exchange it!

While I was waiting for Martin to be available to weld the metal for us, I ran to the post office and also found a Coinstar machine to cash in my jar full of change I've been collecting since the start of the season.

When I got back to the lot, Martin was around, but he had just returned from the hospital. While doing work on the horse truck, he got some metal shavings in his eyes and had to go to a doctor to have them removed.
The doctor's orders were no more welding today, so he had to take a rain check on that project.
However, he and Dominik bent the metal squares attached to the wheels, so now they swivel without getting caught on the bolts.

Ryan's household was full of music today when Mike, our bass player, brought over his electric guitar so he and Pete could have a jam session.

We had a good show tonight, and the audience really seemed to enjoy our chicanery.

After work I was able to Skype with my friend, Jessi, who is clowning on Circus Kinoshita in Japan. I chatted with her and her partner, Aaron, as they got ready for their afternoon show, and then I got a tour of their Clown Alley and her room. Isn't technology awesome?

Ryan, Pete, and I watched an episode of Doctor Who this evening. After that I was ready for bed since we had to get up early for a national TV publicity in the morning.

No comments: