Sunday, August 24, 2014

Friday, August 22 & Saturday, August 23: Atlanta, GA


8/22/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning Rob Hadaway came to pick me up at the circus. We drove downtown to the Georgia Aquarium, but we arrived about thirty minutes before its doors opened.
We went for a little walk in the nearby Centennial Olympic Park until we could enter the aquarium.

Everyone has been recommending the aquarium to me, and after visiting I can see why. It was extremely well done; every different area was well presented, and there were some beautiful fish on display.
My favorite animals to watch were the otters, penguins, and beluga whales.









The two highlights of the aquarium were the cheesy dolphin show done in the style of a Broadway musical, and the giant tank containing several whale sharks. 


The Georgia Aquarium is the only aquarium in the USA that has whale sharks. Rob and I sat in the room with their tank for awhile just taking everything in.
It was so peaceful and beautiful; I'm glad we saved that exhibit for last, because there was no way to top it.

After leaving downtown Rob took me to Decatur, which has a neat, trendy downtown. We had lunch at Twain's, which was a great brewery and billiards hall.

Today was Nico's first day of preschool! The teacher on tour with the circus got all of the very young children together to start preparing them for kindergarten. Where has the time gone!?

Claire, one of the dancers, and I have an ongoing rivalry, the origin of which neither of us can remember.
Tonight she was upset to discover that I went to the aquarium without her or the other girls.
To show her displeasure, she sprayed me with glass cleaner. I think that was her way of telling me that she thinks I am transparent.

Right before the first water gag Tisok, the prop boss, came and asked us if we knew where the water buckets were.
I told him that I had set them early this morning, and that was the last time I'd seen them.
When Ryan and I went onstage we didn't know if we would have a blow off to our gag, but luckily the buckets were found in time for the stage crew to throw water on us.

Backstage I found out what had happened. The dancers had borrowed the buckets for the ALS challenge, but they didn't return them. They gave them to one of the new prop guys, but he didn't put them back where they were supposed to go either.

The dancers apologized profusely, but I know deep down it was all a cover up for one of Claire's evil schemes to thwart me!

After the shows there was a small barbecue outside the Espanas' trailers for some of their visiting family.
I stopped by for a bit to have some delicious food socialize a bit.


8/23/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

I took it easy today to rest up for our weekend of shows. I watched the film, "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", which I haven't seen since I was a teenager.
I didn't appreciate it then, but now I found it absolutely hilarious.

Since it was pretty darn hot today the water in our bottles for the spitting gag was practically boiling. I fill up our water bottles from my trailer's sink, which has running water supplied by a black hose that sits and bakes in the sun all day.
I was cracking up every time I spit on Ryan. His reactions tonight were especially hilarious.

In the vacuum gag there is a part where I am strutting my stuff for the crowd, and I always pick a woman out of the front row and tell her to call me.
Tonight after the second show a little girl came up and said, "One of you told my mom to call you."
I raised my hand and admitted that it was me.
When the little girl gave me an "are you serious?" look, I responded matter of factly with, "Your mom is hot!"

1 comment:

Gregt Michales said...

Steve
Was wondering if you would get to the aquarium I hear its great, one of my to do's. Also we think its a mad mad mad mad world is just one of those great movies with a lot of now great comic
people that is just the funniest movies, and each time you see different stuff in it.
Greg