Monday, August 25, 2014

Sunday, August 25: Atlanta, GA- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.


I had a heck of a time trying to get to sleep last night. I was dozing off around 2 a.m. when a text message made my phone vibrate and I was wide awake again.
After that my power was off, and I didn't feel like reading, so I tossed and turned until I fell asleep close to 4 a.m.
To add to my discomfort I was also dealing with a sore throat that began immediately after the 9:00 p.m. show last night.

Despite my lack of sleep I didn't have too much trouble getting up and out the door this morning. I met a high school acquaintance at The Flying Biscuit Cafe for breakfast. Leland was in the grade under me at Colleton Prep Academy, and she's been living in Atlanta for about seven years.
I haven't seen her since I graduated 12 years ago, so we had plenty to talk about!

Back at the lot I rested up as best I could in preparation for my work day. I really wasn't looking forward to three shows while being sick and under rested.

I tried to not to strain my throat too much during the shows today. I never realized how much I scream like a little girl in our gags until I was making a conscious effort not to!

In our entrance for the first carpenter gag the little car did a Tokyo drift as I began to circle the ring. Right after that I could tell that something was up, and backstage our suspicions were confirmed: we had a flat tire.
After the show we changed the popped inner tube and we were good to go.

Ryan and I both had a rough second show, and during finale, while I was standing at the edge of the ring stewing over everything that had gone wrong, a little kid sitting by me stabbed me in the back with his light up sword.
I quickly looked over to see him and his parents laughing. Something inside me snapped, and before I fully realized what I was doing, I had leapt over the railing that I was leaning on, and I was chasing the kid up the stairs, trying to take his sword away.
The look on the child's face was priceless when I came over the railing! I think he was just as surprised as I was that I made it over so quickly.

Mike, our bass player in the band, gave today's motivational speech, which helped get us all pumped up.
Mike's words of encouragement and the great audience for the final show helped put the frustration of the kid with the sword behind me.
UNTIL......

Ryan and I had just finished the carpenter gag. We were front and center on the ring curb taking our final style when all of a sudden an empty popcorn bucket came hurtling out of the seats and hit me in the stomach.
I looked down in disbelief before picking up the bucket and incredulously asking the crowd, "Who threw this?!"
Some adults in the second row ratted out their son, who had launched the projectile. I turned the empty bucket upside down and deftly plunked it over the kid's head.

Why do the children of Atlanta, GA hate me so?!

Starting today we performers have a backstage lounge complete with couches, a carpet, and wifi.
Yes, you read all of that correctly.


I see a lot of much more comfortable multiple show days in our future!

4 comments:

Tejano said...

Kids attacking you? A friendly clown? How come Ryan never gets attacked? He must have some kind of repellant that he has not told you about. :)

Steve Copeland said...

Maybe he's paying the kids to attack me.

Steve

Carl Bly said...

Because parents don't teach their children to say: please, may I, & thank you!

Looking forward to visiting you guys and the show when you are in Gaithersburg!

Steve Copeland said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we are no longer playing Gaithersburg, MD.

Steve