Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tuesday, August 19 & Wednesday, August 20: Atlanta, GA


Before I start off, here are photos from last Thursday when my friend, Luke, came to see the show. They show me, Ryan, and Carmelo with the works of art that Luke drew for us. Thanks, buddy! 



Rob Hadaway got one too!

8/19/14- 7:30 p.m.

Luke and Laura Davis picked me up this morning and took me to the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Laura has a membership, so she was able to get me in for free. Hooray for free admission!
I told Laura that I was so thankful she invited me to go, because it is not an attraction that I would normally visit, and I truly enjoyed seeing all of the beautiful flowers and amazing topiaries.
Also, Luke and I had a blast taking funny pictures wherever we could!

















All photos taken by Laura

After exploring all of the different areas at the Botanical Garden, Luke and Laura treated me to lunch at The Varsity, which is an Atlanta institution serving up greasy burgers, hotdogs, and fries, as well as delicious orange freezes. 
The Varsity is famous for its impatient staff, who will call out, "What'll ya have?", and quickly move onto the next customer if you aren't ready to order.
The last time I went to The Varsity I was a meek preteen on a church field trip who got all bent out of shape when I was passed over for not knowing what I wanted to eat.
This time I was ready for the question, and I enjoyed dining at the landmark restaurant.



8/20/14- 7:30 p.m.

This afternoon Emma and Claire picked up me, and Nico and Andrei Espana at the lot before we all headed downtown to The World of Coca-Cola.
Coca-Cola's headquarters is in Atlanta, which is why there is a museum here for the famous soft drink.

The World of Coke is another Atlanta institution that I have visited before (I believe also on the same trip where I was left pouting at The Varsity), but it has been over 7 years since the last time I went.
Since then the museum has moved, and the whole place received a face lift.

I was impressed with all of the changes. There was a whole area about the history of Coke and the infamous secret ingredient. In fact, inside that exhibit was the vault that supposedly has the documents containing the secret ingredient.

Apparently if anyone got close to the door an alarm would sound and security would be alerted. I didn't feel like testing that theory.

The dancers were most excited about taking a picture with the 7 foot tall polar bear mascot on the museum's main floor. I must admit it was an impressive costume since the eyes and mouth could open and close. 

Other exhibits included an in depth look at Coca-Cola merchandising throughout the years, pop art created with Coke cans and bottles, and even a cheesy 4-D movie complete with moving seats, gusts of air, spraying water, and bad British accents.

Everyone's favorite area, though, was where we could taste Coca-Cola products from around the world.
The one beverage I was most anxious to see everyone try was Beverly from Italy. I remember trying it the very first time I visited the museum. I can't understand how it would ever be popular as anything other than a paint remover. The aftertaste is absolutely horrible, like cough medicine that has gone past its expiration date while fermenting in an old shoe.
Perhaps my favorite reaction to Beverly's....bouquet, was Emma's. She grimaced in a proper, English way, and simply stated, "That's vile."

After we'd tasted all the carbonated sugar water we could handle, we managed to stop rolling on the floor, moaning and clutching our stomachs long enough to leave and find someplace in Little Five Points to eat.

We tried Savage Pizza, which came highly recommended to me by Laura Davis.


There was a definite comic book motif to the place. The entire restaurant was decorated with comic book toys and posters, and even the bathroom walls were plastered with pages from actual comics.
Oh yeah, the pizza was great too! You could hardly taste the comic book crust!

After tonight's show David, Maria, Klaus, and I drove to a nearby movie theater for an evening of fine cinema.
Well, Maria opted for fine cinema. I became an honorary German for the night and joined my freunds David and Klaus to see "Let's Be Cops".
I expected it to be a stupid movie that made me laugh, but it was actually much better than I expected it to be. The important thing is that it made me laugh, a lot!

No comments: