Monday, September 22, 2014

Friday, September 19: Miami, FL- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning Ryan and I drove to Ft. Lauderdale, FL to teach a physical comedy workshop to the Miami unit of the Big Apple Circus Clown Care Unit.
Ron Hoffman, the unit's supervisor, is a former Ringling clown, and he invited us to come and share our knowledge and experience with his co-workers.

Everyone who took the workshop was so much fun, and they picked up on everything so quickly!
Ryan and I only had the loosest of strategies when we went in to start teaching, but it was all material that we cover in our Circus Clowning Intensive, so we were able to jump right in without even thinking about it.

After the two hour workshop we sat down to eat lunch with the students and answer questions about circus life. I also picked Ron's brain for a few stories from his time on the road.

After lunch Ryan and I headed back down to Miami, running errands along the way. Unfortunately there was heavy rain during that time, so both of us were soaked by the time we got back to our trailers.

Tonight Michael Newton-Brown, a former Ringling clown and current lighting designer, and his husband, Ralph, came to visit and watch the first show.
Michael brought some of his homemade hummus as a free roll, and it was amazing!

At the beginning of the water gag, when I yelled, "Hola!" to my side of the audience, in return, a punk kid with long hair blew a loud fart noise using his mouth and hands.
That gave me an idea of the type of crowd we were up against....

The little car wouldn't shut off in the carpenter gag, and the gas fumes in the ring were ridiculously strong.
I felt so bad for the people sitting in the front row by the car, but every time I checked in with them, they were smiling and laughing (I thought maybe as a result of the fumes).
After the gag Ryan and I realized why the front row was unaffected even though the smell was so strong in the ring: the air conditioning was blowing all of the fumes right to us!

Luckily there was an easy solution to the problem. We simply had to tighten parts of the on/off switch, and the car shut off without a problem for the second show.

No comments: